Seeq is searching for a superstar Applied Research Engineer to play a critical role in the growth of the company as it serves process industries. The Applied Research team at Seeq develops differentiating technologies that delivers value to Seeq’s customers. The Applied Research Engineer plays a key role in operationalizing and scaling Seeq’s solutions.
This individual is an expert at developing software that is robust, scales well, is suitable for operation in industrial settings, and can be used by process engineers of varied backgrounds. This individual articulates implications of various software development, operationalization/scaling choices and identifies near/mid-term opportunities for deploying and enhancing solutions to maximize value for Seeq’s customers.
We are looking for an engineer that likes to develop customer or vertical applications relying on product APIs. Seeq has developed tools to maximize extensibility of its core analytics engine to enable customer specific tools to be layered on top, within, or as add-ons, libraries, or templates.
Focus areas within the company include an emphasis on product engineering, custom solutions, and sales application engineering. The Applied Research Engineer is a critical role and candidates are expected to continuously learn, grow, as well as contribute and communicate across several departments within the company. Various tasks and responsibilities will include analyzing customer needs, prototyping custom solutions, and developing specific add-ons and modules.
Applied Research Engineers need to understand the existing industrial software paradigm and have a passion for disrupting it with Seeq’s state-of-the-art tools. Ultimately, we are about helping our customers optimize and understand processes in energy, food, pharmaceuticals, and other consumable products to make the world a better place.
- Develop software, user interfaces, and infrastructure requirements for prototypes and scaled products.
- Partner with Seeq Analytics Engineers and Software Developers to build automated tools for improving workflows at scale.
- Collaborate with the team to develop production-ready software that functions seamlessly in industrial environments.
- Co-create with and learn from customers to operationalize solutions and deliver value.
- Collaborate with a group of highly skilled scientists and engineers to solve challenging and impactful industry problems.
Seeq prefers to emphasize talent, capacity to contribute, and passion for the problem solution over specific experience or background requirements, but even so, the ideal candidate is likely to have most or many of the following characteristics:
- Good educational background in one or more related disciplines and may have completed pertinent graduate work. Example disciplines are Applied Science and Engineering fields, Computer Science, Software Engineering, and Applied Mathematics. We find that many of the best Applied Researchers are self-taught programmers, but an understanding of the industrial software development and assurance process will be critical to the success of this role.
- Python is the primary language for our tools and prototypes. The candidate should be comfortable in object-oriented programming, APIs, multiprocessing, and GPU processing which we use to operationalize our advanced analytics tools.
- Industrial analytics software development and deployment architecture experience. Working as an engineer involved with analyzing time-history and process data would be helpful. Experience using enterprise historians (OSIsoft PI, IP-12, Delta-V, Wonderware, etc.) is particularly valuable.
- You are regarded by your colleagues as someone that ‘adds energy’ to the work environment. You enjoy dissecting and explaining complex tasks.
- Exhibits excellent communication skills and creative insights within multi-disciplinary team environments to contribute to exciting levels of shared vision and productivity.
- Enjoys customer interactions and solving customer problems. Able to translate a combination of customer-stated and customer-implied needs into a coherent needs documents for use by software development team.
- You are experienced in working and being successful in a virtual team environment.
- Experience developing useful or creative UI elements to maximize user engagement.
- Exposure to ML libraries.
- Comfortable with statistics, analytics, etc.
- Applied Science degree required. Prefer graduate degree in computer science, engineering, applied math, or related areas.
- 5+ years of software development experience.
This position will be issued equity (stock options) based upon his/her expected contribution. We are organized as a virtual company with a headquarters in Seattle, WA. We use state-of-the-art online collaboration tools for development and corporate functions. Employees can be based virtually anywhere as long as they have access to a good office environment, high-bandwidth connectivity. In terms of travel, there are multi-day team link-ups several times a year and infrequent visits to customer sites.
The best applicants are ones who include cover letters explaining how their backgrounds, experiences, and interests match into Seeq's position description. We receive hundreds of applicants for this role, so please help us identify how you can exceptionally contribute to our mission and our future success. The role's level will be determined by the candidate's qualification and experience.