Why you should check us out:
Avail is a car sharing service to help people get where they want to go–whether that’s to run errands, take an unforgettable road trip, or explore a new city–while helping locals earn cash from their unused cars. We are passionate about making shared transportation safe, simple, and affordable, and redefining what it means to own a car.
We’ve assembled some of the sharpest folks from across industries to compete against the antiquated system of traditional car rental. We put ideas into action and learn along the way in an open, collaborative work environment. As a part of Avail, you’ll make a direct impact and help build a business from the ground up. No matter where you’ve been, we’re always looking for fresh thinking and new perspectives.
Plus, come as you are. We want you to be yourself. Our boss wears Grateful Dead t-shirts to work most days, and we work remotely from anywhere in the US.
If you're a Senior or Principal-level Data Scientist, Avail wants to hear from you! *Reach out to email@example.com
for more info. Please include your resume.
As a critical leader within the Avail Data Analytics team, you will extract signals from our ever-growing collection of vehicle sharing and usage data that will inform and drive key business decisions for our company. You will work directly with the leaders of Avail’s business units to surface key business metrics and will be actively involved in creating the business and operational strategies driving Avail's growth. You will conceptualize, design, and tune machine learning and operations research models that are part of the core Avail product, covering diverse areas including user risk assessment, revenue management, operational optimization and dynamic pricing. This role can be based remotely anywhere in the U.S., but occasional (~quarterly) travel to our San Francisco hub is required.
- Derive visualizations, metrics and data products to drive Avail's goal of self-service analytics and support strategic decision making
- Perform on-demand analysis of data to identify strategic opportunities and efficiencies and predict future behavior of key business metrics
- Design models and optimizers that will go into production systems for user risk reduction, fraud detection, revenue management, and operational optimization
- Support Avail's data governance effort: collate and organize data and identify data quality issues
- Lead efforts for continuous improvements with data, tools, methodology and processes
- Advance machine learning/predictive modeling, optimization development within the department
- Serve as a subject matter expert for machine learning/predictive modeling, and optimization and consults on complex issues with a variety of senior stakeholders
- Coach, mentor and influence others to accomplish departmental goals
- Actively seek to connect resources across departments to share expertise educating teams on initiatives, strategy and models
- Master’s or higher degree in a quantitative discipline (CS, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, etc)
- Ability to lead others in the development machine learning/predictive modeling, data analysis, operations research, and optimization
- Programming experience in Python and SQL
- Ability to communicate rigorous technical ideas to a non-technical audience
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, cross regional, diverse, and dynamic work environment
- Experience using data warehouses and other tools for business intelligence
- Background in data modeling in relational and non-SQL databases
- Experience with data practices (security, data management and governance)
- Ability to concentrate on a wide range of loosely defined complex situations, which require application of creativity and originality, where guidance and counsel may be unavailable.
Compensation range for this position is approximately $112,800 - $196,800, based upon experience and qualifications.
If you're a Senior or Principal-level Data Scientist, Avail wants to hear from you! *Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Please include your resume. Note that sending your resume to email@example.com does not represent an official application to a finalized job description. We're looking for Data Scientists of varying levels and backgrounds, so more information about the specifics of the role will be shared at a later stage in the discussion.
That’s the day to day, here’s the bigger picture.
Avail was founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2018. But you’ll be working for (and at) Avail. Our work environment blends the ingenuity and flexibility of a startup with the scale and strengths of a Fortune 100 company. Perks include a generous PTO policy, flexible working options, and a focus on leadership, wellness, and culture. We also offer 401k, health insurance, and other employment benefits for your future.
See a job you love? We encourage you to apply, even if your experience isn’t a perfect match.
We generally do not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee’s terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.