- Could you sell hair care products to Patrick Stewart?
- Do you love getting into the nitty-gritty of keyword optimization, PPC spend, and CRO analytics?
- Do you thrive in a high-stress environment filled with political infighting, bureaucracy, and corporate nonsense?
If so, then we are the place for you, except you might hate how nice of a company we have - filled with happy, generally competent people that don’t put up with jerks. Frankly, it makes me sick how nice everyone is.
We are remote full time, have very flexible hours, people are judged by their output, not by how much they suck up to the boss, and turnover is super low because the company believes that happy employees = happy customers = happy bank account. Simply disgusting, if you ask me.
--Is this a real job ad?--
Yup! Amazingly enough, we actually paid money to post this on a bunch of different job sites. And it’s not even a pyramid scheme! Plus, get this: the owner just started paying our 30+ employees with money instead of Pizza Hut coupons - we’re big time, people.
Our careers page is actually worth checking out to learn more about how insane we are:
--What do you guys do?--
Our business involves taking random products and then marketing the heck out of them, primarily on Amazon. We have hundreds of SKUs at the moment and are launching around 10-20 new products every single month. A small sampling:
We want to launch as many products as we can. Our business is growing rapidly every year, and it’s our intention to continue that for as long as possible, which means we need good people to help us keep up with the growth.
--What is your company like?--
1. Full Time Remote/Flexible Hours. You will be working from home in your pajamas, on your schedule. And we don’t care if you work 10 hour days 4 days a week or want to catch up on the weekend. So long as you put your hours in and get your work done, we’re happy.
2. Complete Work/Life Balance. If you’re routinely working more than 45ish hours, you’re gonna get a friendly talking-to. We want you to be operating at 100% capacity, which means that you need to rest.
3. You Can Be Yourself. You don’t have to put on a fake, professional face. You can just be yourself. You can talk smack to the CEO, and no one will think anything of it.
4. Major Opportunities for Career Growth. We are not trying to just be a small business. We plan to be doing $100 million annually in the next few years. We promote quickly once we identify talent. It doesn’t matter what your credentials are – it matters what you get done.
5. Strongly Anti-BS. Anybody in the company can (and is expected to) tell the CEO when he is wrong. There are no bureaucratic or BS rules getting in the way of getting work done.
6. No Micro-Management. Once you’re trained and have demonstrated you know your stuff, we are pretty hands-off. In fact, if you need external management to stay on-task and motivated, we probably aren’t the place for you.
7. Supportive Environment. We don’t operate via intense stress or unreasonable top-down deadlines. Everyone wants you to be successful – internal politics are at a minimum here.
8. No Toxic People Allowed. We try very hard to screen out mean people before they get in, but in case they slip through, we fire them quickly. Imagine never having to interact with toxic people at work - how nice would that be?
9. We’ll Invest in Your Training. We want you and everyone to get better constantly. You’ll be learning new things all the time, and are strongly encouraged to invest time every day to learn new things, improve your system/work process, and just generally try to make your life easier.
10. Four+ Weeks Vacation. We 100% want you to recharge, so having plenty of time off is absolutely worth it.
--What are your company’s values?--
Yes, those are legitimately our values. The careers page is definitely worth checking out - it’s not just normal corporate BS. We promise you’ll learn a lot about us.
--What will I actually be doing?--
Super short version:
Figuring out how to sell our products better. Right now we have basically no marketing department. It’s ridiculous. We’re pretty good at everything else, but we need you to help build out a marketing function so we can make more money and grow faster.
This is a pretty wide open area honestly. At the moment, we just throw things onto Amazon, do some very basic stuff, and it more or less works. We keep growing and making money, but holy hell we should be selling more than we currently are.
We do literally zero off-Amazon marketing, and the stuff we actually do on Amazon isn’t too impressive. I’m a big dumb and don’t know the optimal path forward currently. Here are some potential pathways:
1. Build out the systems to scale up Amazon marketing. We know for the most part what we want to do, and we need someone to take what we’ve got, and manage the day-to-day execution with a team
2. Improve/fix our off-Amazon presence, which sucks right now. Check out WittyYeti.com for an example (very NSFW FYI). The websites need a ton of work, and beyond that, we need to invest into other channels like Google shopping, Facebook, and who knows what else. It’ll be your job, if you want this side of things to wrangle this project and turn it into a money-making venture.
Everything can be boiled down to: sell more stuff on the Internet, please! How you accomplish that mission is going to be largely up to you.
--Do I need experience?--
For a lot of jobs we don’t require experience, but this is one where you absolutely need to have a good chunk of digital marketing experience. This is a job that can turn into a high-level, executive role if you crush it.
--Do I need a college degree?--
You just need to be awesome, though a college degree can sometimes help demonstrate that to us.
--I am awesome at digital marketing but don’t know Amazon. Is that OK?--
Definitely. We can teach you Amazon in pretty short order. There’s nothing too special about it. You just need to already have a great baseline knowledge of Internet sales.
--Will I have a team?--
This is a job that can definitely grow into having a team, but until you’re clearly crushing it, we probably won’t add team members. Once you’ve proved your marketing prowess, and are ready to scale, then we’ll invest heavily into adding people. If things work the way I want, then we’ll have 5-10 people working in the department in a year.
--Are there specific skills you think I’ll need?--
Beyond the basics, I think you’re gonna need to be relatively familiar with email marketing, Shopify/E-Commerce websites, paid search, and paid social.
--This sounds pretty good, though I’m still skeptical that this isn’t a pyramid scheme.--
You and the IRS both!
--That doesn’t resolve any of my fears, but what do I need to do to apply?--
Please complete the following survey:
We promise to respond within 5-10 business days even if our answer is No.
There will be multiple steps in this process, FYI, including a long written application, interviews with potentially a few different people, and (a) paid work test(s). Hiring the right people is really hard and very expensive if we do it poorly, so we have to front-load the process. I'm sorry about that and thank you for sticking with us.
Once you’re in our pipeline though, I would anticipate giving you a final answer within a few weeks, depending on how it goes. We definitely don’t want to string you along, and as long as you do what we ask, we promise to tell you “yes” or “no”, and to not just ghost you (like everybody I match with on Tinder).
Thank you for your time and interest, and I hope we can work together soon!
JLS Trading Co. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, JLS Trading Co. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
JLS Trading Co. expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of JLS Trading Co.’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge