We are looking for a strategic and hands-on leader to become our Director of Data & Analytics. As the manager of the data function, you will develop and drive a vision, strategy, and roadmap to maximize our use of data across the company in order to help supercharge ReUp’s growth and impact.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced and collaborative data leader who has managed and developed high-performing teams. Key areas of expertise may be in the realms of data science, analytics & research, or data engineering. Additionally, the individual in this role is at their core a strategic thinker who is eager to help ReUp leverage data to deliver transformative experiences that guide students back to school and to degree completion at scale.
This position reports directly to our Head of Product. If you’re excited to make an impact across teams and work on interesting data initiatives within a dynamic startup, we’d love to hear from you!
What we do
Founded in 2015, ReUp Education is the only organization that focuses exclusively on helping colleges and universities engage and re-enroll the over 40% of US students who have “stopped out,” supporting them until graduation through our technology-enabled service. To date, we have re-enrolled over 15,000 students, helped over 3,500 students to graduate and recaptured over $44 million in tuition for our university partners.
What you’ll do
- Define a company-wide data strategy and execution plan to help us reach our vision
- Lead and grow ReUp’s Data Team, including engineering, analytics, research, data science, and ops
- Manage the overall data backlog, sprintboard, and roadmap, containing issues and opportunities generated across departments as well as from partners
- Set team standards, norms, and quarterly goals, providing accountability and professional development ongoing to build a high-performing team
- Create and manage the data team’s annual and quarterly budget
- Oversee the maintenance and expansion of ReUp’s data infrastructure to satisfy business needs, regulatory requirements, and best practices
- Ensure actionable self-service analytics are developed, tested, delivered, and maintained across departments to empower every team through data
- Develop robust insights that inform recommendations we make to universities to influence changes in policy, programs, services, and processes
- Communicate progress and facilitate collaboration through internal meetings, documentation, and presentations to keep stakeholders informed and aligned
- Represent the data function externally with university partners, when needed
- Identify and acquire new data sources that strategically complement our existing assets to unlock new opportunities
- Oversee all data security protocols, compliance, governance, and data security audits
- Collaborate with Head of Product to identify and develop innovative solutions that improve the service and create a strategic advantage
(Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups only apply to jobs if they meet all of the qualifications. However, no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. ReUp encourages you to break that statistic and to apply. We look forward to your application.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Education, Computer Science, Data Science, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Business, or other quantitative focused field of study. Masters degree or Doctorate in relevant field a plus
- 5+ years of hands-on experience and domain expertise in one of the following: data science, analytics, research, or data engineering
- You’re familiar with the full data lifecycle from extracting new data to secure storage & usage (you may not have been an engineer, but you’re comfortable having strategic conversations about each step in the pipeline)
- You’ve led data strategy and managed a team to successfully execute it
- You’re proficient in scalable data infrastructure and analysis through all stages of a business operation
- You’re proficient in SQL, Python, Amazon Web Services, Tableau, Mode Analytics, and Salesforce (or a comparable stack / tools)
- You’re familiar with modern applications of data science in a business context
- You’ve facilitated the continuous improvement of your organizations’ product, service, or program
- You believe in ReUp’s mission and are committed to helping us create new opportunities for millions of stopout students across the US
- Higher education, education technology, and/or startup experience a plus
- Your curious and strategic mind leaves no stone unturned
- You are a first-principle thinker and creative problem solver
- You are a collaborative team player with excellent communication skills
- You know how to make difficult trade-offs on a daily basis
- You are hypothesis-driven and disciplined in your approach
- You stay up-to-date on what’s just now possible in your field
- You enjoy learning and growing in a fast-paced environment
- You have a passion to support data driven decisions across an organization while recognizing the humans behind the numbers
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary (commensurate with experience and location)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees; we pay 100% of the employee's premium and 50% of any dependents' premiums
- Flexible time off and remote work opportunity
- 401(k) plan
- A diverse team that fosters a high level of collaboration despite being highly distributed
- We provide your choice of a Mac or PC laptop
ReUp is a distributed company.
TEAMWORK * RESULTS * CONSTANT LEARNING * AGENCY * DIVERSITY, INCLUSION & EQUITY * JOY
ReUp employees share a passion for improving outcomes for stopout students. We support students to get Results as they embark on finishing what they started. We believe in the power of human potential and that supporting an individual’s Agency acts as a catalyst for positive change and resiliency. We support Diversity, Inclusion & Equity, for both the students we work with and in our hiring practices. We value Teamwork and strive to create a safe and supportive environment where trust, communication, creativity, and humility are valued as highly as technical skills. We tackle hard problems with curiosity and take action towards continuous improvement and Constant Learning. Approaching our work with open hearts, open minds, and seeking collective success creates Joy. If that sounds like your dream work environment, we look forward to hearing from you.
ReUp Education is an equal opportunity employer. Our company values diversity and believes diverse teams make innovation possible. We encourage all qualified applicants from any race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or other characteristics to apply.