We are looking for a Director of Engineering to lead a growing number of Canvas teams. Reporting to the VP of Engineering for Canvas, you will play a critical role on the Canvas Engineering Leadership team, focussing on continuing developing and executing on a strategy to innovate on the world’s leading learning management system (LMS). You will achieve success by hiring and growing world-class engineers & team leaders, made up of all core engineering disciplines (software engineers, site reliability engineers, software engineers in test, etc). From there, you will lead these teams to deliver awesome software, at scale, to our customers world-wide, all while relentlessly driving a technology agenda forward.
Like our customers, we value a learning culture and expect our engineers to work closely with product and support to build the best possible solutions, not just write code to a spec. Engineers at Instructure enjoy an annual company-wide tech conference, biweekly tech talks, and quarterly Hackweeks, all designed to encourage as much exploration and learning as possible.
What you will be doing:
- Build a world-class team that gets better and builds awesome software that people love.
- Coach, mentor, train and develop the team. Engineers feel motivated when they feel like they are valued, delivering and learning. Help make that happen.
- Partner with cross-functional peers to develop and execute on an innovative, market-leading strategy.
- Establish and track clear, useful metrics which help us stay focused on the most important things, ask the right questions and continuously improve.
- Ensure high quality code by creating and enforcing technical standards.
- Make sure the product is performant, stable and up to date.
- Partner closely with product managers to understand requirements and prioritize work as a team.
- Manage external delivery partners, in addition to internal teams, to accelerate development efforts.
What you need to know / have:
- Significant experience in SAAS software engineering.
- Experience with modern web development and web-scale architectures.
- Experience leading and managing an engineering team, including hiring and performance management.
- Passion and proven success in test automation and devops.
- Great coding skills in multiple languages.
- Track record of making and keeping commitments.
- Successful experience with a full product life cycle using agile methodologies.
- Detail oriented and data minded.
- Effective communication skills.
- Willingness to take risks.
- Enough humility to admit when you’re wrong and learn from both your mistakes and your successes.
Get in on all the awesome at Instructure:
- Competitive salary and 401k.
- Medical, dental, disability, and life insurance.
- HSA program, vision, voluntary life, and AD&D.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Paid time off, 10 paid holidays, and flexible work schedules.
- Gym club reimbursements and rewards-based fitness tracking.
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
At Instructure we participate in E-Verify and yes, in case you didn't catch it from the above, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.