We’re looking for a sharp, self-motivated, problem-solving Engineering Manager to come on board and lead software engineers.
You'll join a group of 4-8 software engineers, a product manager, and a designer to tackle everything from huge company initiatives to modest but important bug fixes, from start to finish, in an area of the product. Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Managing the software engineers in your group, including coaching and career development
- Ensuring the successful execution of your group's projects
- Working alongside your group's product manager to make sure projects build value, drive real results for our customers, and ship on time.
- Helping our Engineering Department hire and retain amazing engineers
- Optimizing our developer experience
- Actively contributing to the evolution of the culture and processes for a growing engineering team.
What We Ask Of You
These are our non-negotiables:
Show up: give us your best and have the courage to do difficult but necessary stuff.
Grow up: take responsibility, learn continuously, and have a growth mindset.
Do good: treat your co-workers and our customers the way you want to be treated. No egos.
- Senior-level experience with and knowledge of React, React Native OR Ruby on Rails.
- Experience working as a professional senior software engineer.
- Experience managing people, preferably in a team context.
- Experience recruiting, interviewing, and hiring software engineers.
Reside permanently and currently somewhere in the U.S. Alas, we're not set up to hire outside of the U.S.
These are not requirements, but you'd get bonus points:
- Experience with or knowledge of Shape Up (we don't run this process in its pure form, but it is the basis of our process)
- Experience helping Engineering departments scale
This position can be U.S. Remote or in our Lincoln office. Plenty of remote experience is required if you plan on working remotely. We are not accepting applicants outside the U.S. at this time.
Working At CompanyCam
Our Product and Engineering departments do things a little differently.
We use Basecamp’s Shape Up
method (fused with empowered product teams a la Marty Cagan's Inspired
) to organize and execute our work. That means your group will work in 6-week cycles. During cycles, engineers spend most of their time implementing product improvements, but they also work with their group shaping (generating and vetting) product improvements for the next cycle. After each cycle groups get a 1-2 week cool-down where they pursue educational opportunities, work on pet projects, or smash bugs that have been nagging at them.
Sounds nice, right? No sprinting, no scrumming, no death by 1,000 meetings. We protect our engineers' time, treat them like adults, and trust them to get their work done (and we expect you to do the same). We’re also big on not overworking people. Put in your eight hours of focused, quality work and then TURN. SLACK. OFF. No nights and weekends.
Our larger company culture is also refreshingly chill. We have fun, learn from each other, and don’t take ourselves too seriously.
We cover the important stuff too. We pay well, offer unlimited vacation, meaningful equity, health insurance, and other benefits. If you're local or down to move, we’re custom remodeling a new office space in the Lincoln Haymarket area that you’ll love. If you're remote (most of the engineering team is), we’re well set up with great conference room video equipment so you'll feel like you’re there with us, and once life is back to normal we’ll fly you in a few times a year to hang out.