The role is a unique opportunity to develop an EdTech product that is fast-growing, bootstrapped and profitable. In a few short years, Save My Exams has grown to over 25,000 subscribers by building an exceptional product that our users love.
We have big plans to build on this strong foundation and, as a full stack developer, you will play a pivotal role in our mission to make revision easier for millions of students across the globe.
To love this role, here’s the type of person you are:
- You’re a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through from conception to completion. You will "own" features/tasks and are responsible for working with the team in scoping, development, and appropriate testing.
- You're an excellent communicator, fluent in both verbal and written English, who makes sure nothing slips through the cracks. We believe communication is critical and there is no such thing as over-communicating. You choose the right time and the right medium to communicate keeping in mind the needs of the team and company.
- You have the curiosity and desire to learn and grow your skills.
- You're passionate about education and are excited to work on a product that impacts millions of students all over the world.
- You take pride in the quality and craftsmanship of your work rather than just doing it to get it done.
- You're a team player who is comfortable working alongside and helping other developers, and you don't take critical feedback personally. You welcome and embrace critical feedback.
- You're happy jumping between front-end, back-end and DevOps tasks, or tackling tasks which require both.
- You’re excited to be a key member of a small, remote company solving problems and taking responsibility in areas both inside and outside of development.
- You’re happy working with and communicating with a team distributed across multiple time zones that work varying hours.
- Plan and execute implementation of new features
- Optimize and support current projects
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Collaborate with other team members
- Contribute in maintaining server architecture (DevOps)
- Security & performance of your work
- 5+ years of experience as a full stack web developer
- Ability to build web pages and applications, from static to highly dynamic and interactive, from scratch
- Excellent troubleshooting
- Responsive HTML/CSS (ability to hand-write and make standards compliant)
- Bootstrap or similar
- MySQL, MariaDB, or Aurora (custom tables, queries & indexes, data structures)
Some extra skills and experiences that would be great:
- Sails.js or Express.js
- Server configuration, infrastructure management & basic DevOps
- AWS service use and/or deployment (Elastic Beanstalk, EC2, Application Load Balancer, Lambda functions, SES, RDS (Aurora/MySQL, Redis), Elasticache, IAM permissions)
- Single page applications
- Caching strategies (local, CDN, reverse proxies, etc)
- Previous freelance or remote work experience
Working for a fast-growing, bootstrapped education company is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice.
Our positions are challenging, but also come with amazing advantages and opportunities.
Here’s what we offer:
- Competitive annual salary: depending on experience & skills
- 28 days paid vacation
- Pension contribution (or equivalent if outside UK)
- Remote working: work from your home or wherever you want! We’re UK based but our team is spread out all over the world – UK, US, Belgium, India and more.
- Reasonable hours: we don’t expect (or want) you to spend every waking hour at work. We want you to be able to operate at your peak for the long term.
- Control over your time: choose to work where and when you’re most productive.
- Learning & Growth: We happily provide or reimburse software you’ll need as well as books or courses that promote continued learning.
- Impact: We give you the opportunity to solve challenging and meaningful problems that make a real difference to the lives of millions of students and teachers.
- Amazing team: we’re a diverse, talented and friendly group who love what we do.
- And in case you were wondering: no politics, no b.s., and no jerks!
Here’s an overview of our hiring process, so that you know what to expect:
- Application form
- Online technical test
- Online interviews
- Test Project