Hello! We’re glad you found us. Geek Unicorn is a women-led web design company in Toronto, Canada. We make our clients stand out online, like a Unicorn in a field of horses, through branding, web design, and online presence.
Our mission is to close the financial gender gap by working with women-led enterprises. To us, those are businesses or organizations that love working with and employing all genders and non-binary folks, while demonstrating equity to those who identify as women and contribute to their economic advancement. We believe that when women succeed, the economy flourishes, the next generation thrives, and non-profits are empowered to do more good in the world.
Current Opening: Graphic Designer (permanent part-time)
Your role will be to collaborate with our team as the Graphic Designer by working on Geek Unicorn’s various client projects and marketing materials. This role is remote and your working hours are flexible, as long as established deadlines are met. Though this is a part-time position to start, culture is important to us and you’ll be valued as a full member of our team. When you join the team at Geek Unicorn, you can expect opportunities to expand your role (if you’re into that) and increase your hours (with proper compensation, of course).
The perfect candidate is interested in improving small businesses and gender equity: someone who recognizes the importance of small businesses in local communities and how gender rights affect the social-economic health of those communities. Because of this, they accept that their contributions to each project have lasting effects not only on our clients’ professional and personal lives but also within their communities. Knowing this, they conduct their role with a sincere desire to help others succeed.
- Design pieces for clients’ website and branding projects, including colour palettes, icons, logos, and other visual assets
- Craft visual assets for internal marketing initiatives, including blog posts, social media posts, infographics, emails, landing pages, swag, and more
- Create visual brand guide booklets for external and internal reference
- Source stock photography and font combinations for website projects
- Modify photos for web (resizing and compressing, some design modifications)
- Modify design files in Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Organize design assets and contributing to our shared library of resources
- Ensure brand consistency throughout internal and external projects
- Participate in project planning by contributing ideas to web design and branding projects
- Occasionally sit in on client meetings or reply to their questions via Slack or email
- Various other tasks as it relates to graphic design
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to collaborate within a team environment, participate in ideation sessions, strategic discussions, and plan and share ideas
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently on assigned projects
- Commitment to accuracy and timeliness in your work
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- Competent in Adobe InDesign
- 3+ years of work experience in graphic design, or similar role
- Portfolio of work, ideally with samples of elements in the “responsibilities” section
- Available for occasional meetings that would occur between 10am and 3pm EST Monday-Thursday
- Eligible to work in Canada
Would be nice to have:
- Degree in design or marketing
- Experience in web design
- Experience in video editing
- Experience in social media marketing
- Starting at $1,000/month, approximately 35 hours/month
- Salary is negotiable, depending on experience and quality of work
- Extra pay during busier months
- Totally remote! Work where and when you want
- Office allowance, up to $1,000/year
- Paid development days
- Regular lunch days (yep, we buy you lunch)
- Geek Unicorn team swag
- Vacation pay, CPP, and EI contributions
- An ah-mazing, fun, and supportive team!
Geek Unicorn Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We have created a safe workspace that celebrates and respects diversity and inclusion. All are welcome here.
Email email@example.com with your:
- Cover note (briefly let us know why you’re the best person for the role and for Geek Unicorn)
- Link to your portfolio