This is a dream role designed for someone who is high-achieving, growth-driven, and believes there is more to life than getting a job at a mega-corporation and counting the days until retirement (or layoffs…)
Dear Marketing Superstar,
- Are you ready to advance your career, but don’t want to be a cog in a wheel at a large company?
- Do you want to start your own company, but you are not sure where to start?
- Are you always the first one of your friends to join new social platforms?
- Do you geek out over unique marketing campaigns?
If you’ve always been a technologically inclined person who is passionate about marketing and would like to take those skills to the next level -- while at the same time learning the crucial entrepreneurial skills you need to grow your first company -- this could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
But before I tell you more about the opportunity, I should probably introduce myself.
Who am I?
I’m a Fulbright-Scholar-Turned-Founder of a fast-growing marketing and education company. 12 years ago I graduated from college and received a Fulbright Fellowship to live and work in China, where I was introduced to Tony Hsieh and a bunch of other brilliant entrepreneurs who inspired me to become an entrepreneur.
I returned to the US hungry to start a business, but after all my “formal education” I still knew nothing about being an entrepreneur…
So I got a job as the “right-hand man” to a FORBES 30 under 30 CEO, where I learned through hands-on experience how to build a multi-million dollar online business through direct response marketing.
I started as the 3rd employee, and two years later I was heading the 15+ person sales team for a company ranked #168 on the Inc. 500 Fastest Growing Companies list that did $10 million in revenue.
Four years later I started a digital marketing business, and now I host a successful podcast with over 40,000 monthly listeners and have a community of over 260 eCommerce business owners and marketers from fast-growing brands located all over the world.
Here’s what I’ve learned:
Truth: The pursuit of growth is imperative for the success of your business and to feeling a sense of purpose.
Sad Reality: Too many founders grind themselves (and their employees) into the ground in the neverending pursuit of more.
Most entrepreneurs get stuck in working on the day-to-day aspects of their business and don’t know who to turn to to get advice on the decisions that will make their lives easier and their businesses grow.
Years go by, key life events are missed, all in the pursuit of “some day money”.
It doesn’t have to be this way.
I believe it’s possible to build a great company and live a great life at the same time. This belief is what motivates our company to help our clients each and every day.
Opportunity: Work as the first marketing hire for a fast-growing company that helps multi-million dollar eCommerce companies (like MVMT Watches, Kettle and Fire, and Dr. Axe) scale up.
You will be in the privileged position to learn from some of the most successful companies in the world and find out what makes them successful.
Initially, we’re looking for someone who can hit the ground running and help us spread the word about our world-class coaching and training for eCommerce entrepreneurs.
Over the long-term, we’re seeking someone who can run and manage the marketing & sales side of our business. We have a small company that is growing. Personal and career development must be something you value and desire.
Skills We’re Looking For:
I am looking for someone who…
Has a broad, but not necessarily deep, understanding of the digital marketing landscape (although that would be a plus). This isn’t your first job in digital marketing. You’ve had some experience in-house or at an agency, but you may not have gotten deeply involved in the entire marketing ecosystem or build a lifecycle marketing campaign from start to finish. This role will give you the chance to dig deep into all facets of marketing, bring new ideas to the table, and execute on them from start to finish.
Is good at social media. You recognize social media is a tool, you’re excited about using it, and would consider yourself good at it relative to your peers.
Is a polished writer who communicates clearly. You’re comfortable creating content, and editing your own work without much oversight.
Is a team player who is growth-driven, positive, and open-minded. This is a core value of our business and the most important factor in your success.
Is a self-starter who won’t take no for an answer. You love to take initiative and figure things out on your own. Some might say you’re allergic to being micromanaged.
Is curious about WHY things work the way they do. You’re always asking questions and thinking about how processes can be improved.
Is a finisher and does what they say they are going to do the first time. Do you hate leaving projects unfinished? Does it drive you nuts when someone doesn’t do what they say they are going to do? You’ll fit in here :)
Is incredibly detail-oriented. You’re the type of person who doesn’t mark a task as complete until all the boxes have been checked (and double-checked).
Is tech-savvy and feels at home troubleshooting tech issues. You don’t have to build our membership site, but you do need to feel comfortable diving into unknown SaaS software and learning how it works without a lot of hand-holding.
Is able to travel within the United States and abroad. We have 4 offsites per year, and anywhere from 2-4 events. You’ll need to be able to (and excited about) attend these 3-5 day events and team meetings.
- Development skills. If you’re comfortable with HTML and CSS that’s a huge bonus and will help you.
- Graphic or UI design. You’ll be highly involved with managing our website and creating digital assets, so experience in these areas is a big plus.
- Video editing skills. If you enjoy creating funny edits of videos, that will make you stand out.
Who This is Not For:
- Someone who thinks that learning is over when school is over.
- Someone who is only motivated by a boss telling them to work harder.
- Someone who doesn’t believe that how you feel on the inside directly correlates with how you perform in life and business.
- Someone who isn’t comfortable solving their own problems.
We Hire Characters Not Positions:
We’re a small company with big aspirations, and we work hard (and have a LOT of fun) while making that happen. If you have what it takes as an individual - in other words, if you’re a consistent high-achiever in everything you do in life - then you'll fit in well at our company.
We Hire the Best, Regardless of Their Location.
Unlike other jobs, we don’t believe that what you do should dictate where you live.
Our clients run businesses all over the world, and we believe flexibility in where you work leads to better performance and happiness. Performance and attitude is the most important aspect of this job, not clocking hours in the office or water cooler politics.
Want to set up shop at a coworking space in Mexico City, or put the finishing touches on an email while at a sidewalk cafe in Lisbon? Fine with us. As long as you can work on a US time zone, we’re cool with it.
We’re looking for people who can demonstrate they hold themselves to a higher standard in everything they do, because with great flexibility comes great responsibility.
All this flexibility doesn’t mean we’re not a close-knit team…
For your first month you’ll be working side-by-side with the CEO in Austin, Texas, and after that you’ll have daily meetings and quarterly retreats to make sure we’re growing stronger as a team (our previous retreats have been held in Santa Barbara, ATX, LA, etc).
Responsibilities Include (But are not limited to):
- Working closely with the founder to come up with new ideas for how we can grow our audience and attract more customers and executing on those ideas with little hand-holding or follow up.
- Managing and growing our social media presence across Twitter, Facebook, and Linked In by writing engaging posts and interacting on the platforms.
- Overseeing podcast production and managing syndication and amplification of podcast episodes.
- Drafting and formatting content in WordPress.
- Compiling a compelling and valuable weekly newsletter email highlighting the latest in industry news, customer successes, useful tools, and more. As a little test of your attention to detail, please make sure you include the words “Yellow Duck” in the first paragraph of your cover letter.
- Drafting and scheduling emails and building advanced email marketing campaigns within our email marketing software.
- Collecting and amplifying client success stories across all of our channels.
- Building relationships with key industry partners to increase our exposure to prospective clients through content partnerships.
- Working closely with contractors to facilitate and oversee video production and website development.
Salary and Benefits:
- This is a full-time, salaried position
- Salary is dependent on experience
- One month paid sabbatical for each full year of employment
- Stipend for health insurance
- Flexibility to work from anywhere (remote)
- Opportunity to plan, promote, and go on epic events
- Ability to interact and build relationships with incredibly inspiring entrepreneurs from around the globe
HOW TO APPLY
No exceptions - in order to apply please provide the following.
1) Write a COVER LETTER addressing the following questions:
a) Why do you think you'd be the “Marketing Superstar” we’re looking for?
Describe why you’re a consistent high-achiever. Give SPECIFIC examples of past achievements and/or accolades related to your successes.
(TIP) If you literally only had 30 seconds with me in an elevator, what would you say is your biggest accomplishment?
b) What are the last three books you've read?
c) What do you do for fun?
d) What is attractive to you about this position?
2) Create ONE document (Word or PDF) that contains both your custom cover letter and your résumé. Cover letter first, résumé second.
Job posted 2021-04-08