(We’ll be accepting applicants until May 26, 2021. Be sure to apply before then.)
Are you a creative operator who loves writing your own innovative content just as much as project managing a team of writers?
Are you someone who loves a challenge, never settles for mediocrity, and is always competing with yourself to up-level your performance?
Are you a writer at heart but with a keen eye for SEO, mastering the crucial balance between writing for both a search engine and a reader?
Do you love data and view marketing as both an art and a science, finding patterns in spreadsheets and making objective recommendations based on results over gut feelings?
Do you love the challenge of managing multiple voices, brands, and content strategies to create unique buyer's journeys toward a common goal?
Are you an extremely motivated person who loves helping people and serving others?
If so, then we have an exciting proposition for you...
We're on a search for an experienced Managing Editor to join our team at Self Publishing School. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the right person.
You’ll have a front row seat (and major responsibility / autonomy) at one of the fastest growing companies in America (INC 5,000 the last 3 years in a row - #1,944 in 2020).
You’ll be on the marketing team reporting directly to our Marketing Director, Ashton Scriven (click here for LinkedIn
), and partnering with some of the top talent in the industry.
Your mission (should you choose to accept it): Create and oversee the cohesive strategy, production, and quality of content for each of Self-Publishing School’s family of websites, with the ultimate goal of lead generation for Self-Publishing School.
It’s a big job with a lot of responsibility. Keep reading if you have what it takes to get the job done...
The Managing Editor is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing the overall content strategy for Self-Publishing School's family of websites that get over xx in monthly traffic.
This is done by crafting a unique but complimentary content strategy for each of Self-Publishing School’s secondary websites, finding and managing freelance writers for high quality content creation, and developing and managing detailed content schedules for consistent publication.
This role is broken into two parts:
- Content Strategy
- Content Management & Creation
This role will be accountable for the following KPIs:
- Content Quality
- Content Frequency
- SPS leads generated from family of sites
You MUST be:
- Ready to learn, be challenged, and grow a ton
- A self-starter who is obsessed with continuous improvement
- Uniquely wired with both the innovativeness of a writer with the practical focus of an operations manager
- Able to suggest ideas for stories and see them through to publication
- Organized, detail-oriented, and exceptional at taking a project from conception to implementation with multiple moving parts and stakeholders
- An experienced strategist who isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty, be scrappy, and execute quickly
- A systems thinker and process-oriented professional who understands the role marketing plays in the organization as a whole
- Ready for a challenge and excited to take ownership of the content strategy for multiple brands
NOTE: This position is full-time and virtual. Meaning you can work from anywhere. The team here at SPS is located around the world, with the majority of us in North America. Preference for this position is someone working in the US or Canada.
DISQUALIFIERS: Please DO NOT apply to this position if you:
- Have no interest in books (and using books to change people’s lives)
- Have less than 3 years of experience as a managing editor or in a similar roleAre intimidated by analytics, KPIs, and aggressive growth goals
- Have no working knowledge of online platforms like WordPress and on-page SEO best practice
- Prefer the status quo and have no appetite for innovation
- Lack organization and project management skills
- Struggle to create short-term or long-term strategies and project plans
- Are afraid to roll up your sleeves alongside the team to get the job done
If none of these things can be said of you, then please continue reading...
- Develop unique overarching content strategy for each site based on avatar and buyer’s journey
- Manage creation and updating of all content on SPS secondary websites (including but not limited to blog posts, home pages, product pages, testimonial pages, etc.)
- Produce monthly content strategy for each site based on traffic growth opportunities and industry trends
- Hire and manage freelance writers for consistent blog posts on all sites
- Manage monthly content production schedule for timeliness of delivery and publication
- Edit content pieces to ensure Best is the Standard quality
- Partner with SEO and CRO resources to increase ranking and conversion of content
At Self Publishing School, we value work ethic, coachability, and past results you’ve delivered significantly more than your degree (or lack thereof), GPA, etc.
Have you delivered results in a similar role in the past? If so, that’s what we’re looking for.
That being said, feel free to apply even if you don’t “tick the boxes” below. Just be sure to mention that in your application + why we should consider you.
- 3-4 years proven experience as managing editor or in a similar role
- Strong writer with the ability to effectively communicate based on avatar and objective
- Excellent organizational and leadership qualities
- Ability to plan and coordinate both people and operations to accomplish a goal
- Creativity and a talent for developing original content that provokes engagement
- Strong ability to communicate and collaborate across all aspects of the business
- High attention to detail
- Critical-thinker and problem-solver
- Experience managing content for multiple websites and brands at one time
- Experience with writing content to rank on search engines and coaching a team of writers to do the same
- Proven track record of month over month lead and revenue growth for multiple websites
- Solid understanding of performance marketing, website conversion, and online inbound customer acquisition
Yearly salary of $60,000-100,000; depending on qualification and experience.
Also includes the following benefits:
Top tier healthcare: your choice of high quality healthcare (for US-based full-time employees)
Bi-weekly house cleaning: get your house cleaned every two weeks, on the company! : )
Work remotely: save $5k/year in commuting costs and 100+ hrs each year (aka. 2 ½ extra weeks of “time off”)