Founded in 1996, smarTours has a mission to enable amazing trips around the world for our customers. We operate group tours to international destinations at competitive prices making them accessible to a wide audience. While smarTours has been operating as a very successful business for over 25 years, we were affected by the global pandemic as all travel was shut down worldwide. During this time, smarTours has taken the opportunity to rebuild the company with a technology focus from the ground up, operating much more like a new startup and with a brand new team.
As we push forward in the last stretches of finalizing our new technology infrastructure, we are looking to expand the engineering team to evolve and enhance the ever-growing needs of travelers as vaccines are rolled out and people become excited to get out and travel again.
Previously a NYC-based company, smarTours is now fully remote due to the pandemic and has no plan to return to an office environment. Therefore these are fully remote positions (US only) that operate on the Eastern Time zone.
Our entire infrastructure is based around WordPress with custom PHP/JS code in theme & plugins that communicate with various 3rd party APIs using XML & JSON to manage all business information. Candidates who are well versed in creating custom PHP code, while focusing on doing things the "WordPress Way", will be highly preferred.
We are hiring for multiple engineer positions and are flexible to bring in people with varying experience levels. These roles will report directly to the Director of Engineering & Technology (DET). One hire will hopefully be at the more Senior/Lead position and assume some leadership & architect roles within the engineering team. Responsibilities can include:
- Collaborate regularly with DET on feasibility and scope of engineering projects desired by the company.
- Work within a team of 3-5 to build out custom software.
- Continue to evolve and refactor existing legacy code to be more maintainable and better integrated with WordPress.
- Proactively seek out improvements that can be made to the codebase/infrastructure.
- Support the current business objectives, acknowledging that compromises will be needed at this time to balance speed of deployment and "getting stuff done" versus code orthodoxy, and finding the right balance will be crucial.
- 2+ years experience as software developer (10+ for senior position)
- Solid to Expert level experience with PHP
- Experience developing custom applications with WordPress as a framework.
- Experience interfacing with 3rd party APIs via XML/JSON
- Solid working knowledge of HTML/CSS
- Experience in working directly with MySQL database
- Understanding of using git for version control, and GitHub for source management
- Ability to work on Eastern Time zone for core hours for video call collaboration
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- Previous integration work with Google Analytics & HubSpot
- Experience working with Microsoft Dynamics 365 platform
- Previous work in Travel industry related fields
- For more senior roles: Engineering project management experience
Note: At this point in time, all candidates for this role must be authorized to work in the U.S. without need of visa sponsorship.
smarTours is an equal opportunity employer and offers:
- A competitive salary based on experience
- Health insurance (cost subsidized by the company)
- 4 weeks PTO, plus 5 sick days and 11 holidays off annually
- Future travel opportunities for team building
- Flexible work schedule
Job posted 2021-04-07