FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has raised more than $2 billion for high impact nonprofits since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.
All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.
In the last 2.5 years, we’ve grown from 5 people to 70 (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow quickly. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure.
About the role
We are looking for a Product Design Director to run our design team with the goal of helping to raise the next $10 billion for charity. This person will partner with our head of product and head of engineering to make sure that we are building the best experiences for nonprofits and their donors by transforming complex giving into easy and intuitive giving.
The Product Design Director will lead recruitment and hiring, onboarding, performance management, and org design for the design team. This person will provide visionary leadership and strategic direction for how design can continue to scale as we grow our company to 300 people and beyond over the next two years.
Build and manage a strategic, high-performing design team with a focus on building excellence and design thinking throughout the organization
- Help FreeWill design systems and processes that can (1) help FreeWill achieve its business and impact goals, and (2) scale during periods of fast growth
Hire and develop strong and diverse talent on the design team
- Advocate for the right resources at the right times to achieve goals
- Develop processes and best practices for product, design, and engineering departments to work well together
- Coach design team towards best design practices and create a structure in which creativity can thrive
- Cultivate a highly user- and customer-centric design culture across the organization
- In the early stages of design team growth, step in as an individual contributor on some product development, working together with product, engineering, partner success, sales, and growth. This will not be an expectation of the role in the medium to long term
- Act with FreeWill’s values of focus, joy, kindness, and courage
3+ years of experience managing product design teams.
- 5+ years of experience in product or UX design
- Proven success in recruiting high performing, diverse talent at high velocity and building an effective and inclusive team culture
- Expert at design best practices, including: user and customer research, visual design and UX principles, implementing design software
- Strong problem solving skills. Makes data-driven decisions, and is open-minded towards different perspectives
- Strong communication, emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills – up, down, across, and externally
- Experience working in a fast-growing startup environment
- Acts with integrity, professionalism, low ego, and high self-awareness
- Enjoys collaboration, listening, and learning
- Comfort moving quickly in a fast-paced environment and making decisions with imperfect information
- Impact and results-focused
- Smarts, tenacity, and kindness
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. We also can’t sponsor working visas, so all applicants will need to have work authorization in the US.
Excited about our mission? Success in serving nonprofit partners requires our dedication to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We can’t wait to learn with and from you.
If interested, please contact Jenny Xia Spradling at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resumé and any applicable materials or experience (eg: website, github, portfolio, etc.)