- Flexible/remote work-friendly environment
- Greenfield project
- Technology/UI first company
- Work with exciting AI & mobile tech
- Join an experienced tech & product team
Are you an experienced Product Designer skilled in user experience design, user interface design, interaction design, and product management?
Ukufu* (pronounced oo - koo - foo) is a content aggregation mobile application that simplifies content and notes.
Ukufu version 1.0 was soft-launched in September 2019 and is live on the Google Play and Apple Store.
We recently closed a round of seed funding from a couple of smart and supportive investors, and are excited for the next stage of our journey!
Watch a short message from our CEO:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JglhsrA5KII
The problem we are solving with Ukufu:
These days professionals have to consume a lot of content to stay on top of the latest trends. It is a time-consuming task, and the workflow is often disjointed as they jump from one source to another. Saving articles to a single, secure, place can be tedious, and finding them again to reference later can prove even more challenging.
We believe that there is a big opportunity to improve the breadth and depth of content consumption and note-taking for professionals.
We want to enable a content consumption experience that is simple to use, yet comprehensive in feature set.
An impeccable user experience is therefore at the heart of our value proposition.
View a quick overview of our product here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOkF5l4tfKY
Over the next 6 - 12 months, we will be focussed on stage 1 of building out our product - working closely with users to build something amazing that we can then scale up in stage 2 - building the product into a sustainably profitable business.
Our headquarters are in the Sydney CBD, but we have team members around the world. We have a preference for someone who can work full-time and semi-remote, joining us on-site one day per week. However, we are open to this role being permanent part-time with a minimum of 2.5 days per week, fully remote, or a mix of both for the right candidate. Our distributed team structures require all team members to be flexible around time zones. Each role also has a minimum daily crossover time requirement of 4 hours.
Our remote-friendly work culture and processes have been in place for a couple of years (some of our team used to work together on a product that reached over 4 million users) and our distributed team structure is working well.
We work hard at fostering a focused and friendly workplace, where team members are able to do their best work.
We are looking for someone with outstanding design experience, a mature attitude, a product flair, and a preference for working with a small smart team, to join us in the role of UX Designer at Ukufu.
You will work directly with the CEO as well as the engineering and product team.
- Lead the design of the product as a whole, as well as individual features, all using a user-centered design process.
- Initiate user research and present key insights to the team.
- Continually assess Ukufu’s features and information architecture with the needs and constraints of users.
- Communicate and influence product design decisions with the team whilst advocating for the user.
- Provide creative direction and help to evolve our brand.
- Help us maintain a high level of design standards, practice, and aesthetics to everything that we do.
Design Challenge - Please hand it in with your application
“Busy dog owners are struggling to find friends for their dogs. Dog parks help to some extent, however, they lack consistency as it’s rare to find the same dogs and owners there. The owners would also like to make more friends who own dogs, so they can share stories, concerns, and fun times with each other whilst socializing their dogs.”
How would you approach this problem statement as a product designer? We are wanting to build a mobile app around the above problem statement.
Please limit your response to 2 pages. Feel free to include rough sketches, diagrams, and/or designs - it does not have to be a text-heavy written response.
Our application process usually includes an initial chat with the CEO, then a chat with 2-3 Ukufu team members.
* Ukufu comes from the Zulu word Ukufunda, which means “to learn”.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in a Product Design design-related role.
- Some project management experience.
- University degree in design or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience in a role collaborating with team members from different teams such as engineering and product management.
- A history of being responsible for the entire design process: concept, design, user flows, wireframing, user interface mock-ups, and prototypes.
- Familiarity with designing for different platforms such as Android, iOS, & Web.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong technical ability.
- Familiarity with UX and UI trends.
- Experience using analytics, user research, and other methods to drive decisions.
- Mature attitude.
- Coding skills and experience.
- Experience with marketing mobile apps.
- Experience facilitating Agile methodology ceremonies.
- Experience using Social Media for marketing, communication, and branding purposes.