Wallaroo Labs is working on a huge idea, and this is a phenomenal opportunity for a person who enjoys challenges. We’re exploring new, emerging use cases involving vast amounts of real-time data, such as in automotive IoT, transportation, and ad tech. Our mission is to help firms exploit this data very quickly to create business opportunities, reduce costs, and enhance safety and security. We’re building next-generation tools like Wallaroo, a highly efficient stream-processing engine, to power applications that run on petabytes of daily data and that expose the limits of traditional big data solutions. We believe this is a $10B+ market opportunity and we aim to take a good chunk of it.
We’re a seed-stage company that’s raised $6M from some of the best enterprise software investors in NYC, and we’re looking for ambitious people to grow our team and our business, enhance our culture and contribute great ideas.
You will be expected to engage with external partners and coordinate technical efforts on both sides. You must be comfortable working with clients to move them from discovery to design, POC, and then production. You will work with engineers and architects at client companies to gather requirements, spec out applications, and help implement them. And you will provide ongoing support and contact with clients. This is not a sales engineer role; while you will participate in discovery, most of your responsibilities will involve implementation.
We believe in hiring strong engineers and letting them apply their unique skills and experiences to make our team and product better. That said, there are a few must-have requirements that are needed to do well in our environment. Beyond those, we are looking for candidates who have skills that draw from our "nice to have qualifications" list.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Prior experience working with customers either external or business-oriented
- Prior experience building high-volume data processing applications
- Able to travel to meetings that need to be in-person
- Good at async communication (key for working as part of the engineering team)
- Experience developing on *Nix system (shell, scripts, tools, etc)
- Experience using a modern version control system (git, mercurial)
- Ability to get up to speed with new languages quickly
- Desire to help those around you grow and learn from you
- A self-guided learner with the ability to pick up new skills quickly
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Thrive in an environment where the long-term goal remains stable but day-to-day needs may change quickly
Nice to Have Qualifications:
- Experience running production systems
- Solid industry experience working with/designing/building distributed systems
- Experience developing multi-threaded programs
- Experience using a "strongly typed" language
- Experience analyzing system performance
- Experience developing for AWS or other cloud systems
- Excellent teaching skills
- Strong algorithmic and mathematical skills
- Familiarity with open-source streaming data technologies
Wallaroo Labs - Engineering Values
We are a fully distributed team with a base of operations in NYC and engineers ranging from California to the Netherlands. Our processes are always distributed first, with an emphasis on effective asynchronous communication.
One of our mottos is: “If it wasn’t communicated, it didn’t happen.” Communication is always crucial to effective collaboration, but in a distributed setting it becomes even more important. Email, text chat, and documentation are important tools to communicate across time zones and geography. Voice and video conferences bring us together despite working in different countries. We bring up concerns early, and share objectives, context and work progress in public. We value clarity and making assumptions explicit.
We value a commitment to learning, and see the ability to quickly get up to speed on new languages, technologies, and ideas as just as important as specialized knowledge, if not more. We stress a growth mindset, and know that listening can take effort but is crucial to understanding.
Self-motivation and accountability
Our engineers excel at working independently and flexibly collaborating with the right people for the job. We proactively get involved when help is needed.
Respect and openness
We know that we’re working with human beings with their own lives, concerns, and perspectives. We strive for charitable interpretation and empathy. We value constructive disagreement and challenging assumptions, but only when this is done with respect. We realize that even if you are an expert in some area, you can still learn from the fresh perspectives of novices, which means humility is not only reasonable, but essential to overcoming blind spots.
The right tool for the job
We know that in software engineering, there are no silver bullets. No language, framework, tool, or process is “The One, True Way”. We look for the right tool for the job, and depending on the circumstances, this may or may not be Wallaroo!
Our engineers have to be ready to adapt to changing circumstances and temporarily take on roles that might be a bit outside their job description. We value comfort with uncertainty and an openness to experimentation.
Everyone a Teacher
In a smaller startup, we need everyone to be a generalist to some degree. That’s part of the reason we value sharing knowledge, skills, and perspectives so much. Our engineers are eager to keep learning, but they’re also eager to teach their colleagues what they know, and to experiment with more effective ways to make this kind of information readily available.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.