Back End Software Engineer for Hearst Local Deals
Full-time, freelance, remote opportunity - six month contract with potential for permanent
employment.Seasoned Back End Software Engineer with great skills in PHP and NodeJS, REST APIs, GraphQL, CouchDB, and MySQL. Work on a fast-paced, collaborative team that is blending an exciting mix of technologies that will help millions of consumers save money.Responsibilities
- As a hands-on developer design, code, develop and support web applications.
- Develop high performance REST APIs.
- Write unit level and integration level testing.
- Follow standards for development of tools and experiences, with focus on performance, scalability, and reusability.
- Perform quality assurance on all new code from inception through integration, staging, and production environments.
- Collaborate effectively with team members as well as UX, QE, and release engineering team.
- Rapidly execute on solutions when problems or challenges have been identified.
- Consistently demonstrate ownership and on time delivery.
- Design and develop micro-services and medium-sized applications with little direction.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of professional experience as a web developer with the ability to demonstrate previous work experience.
- At least 4 years experience with PHP.
- At least 4 years experience with API integrations (REST, GraphQL).
- At least 4 years experience with SQL and NoSQL Databases, ideally MySQL and CouchDB.
- At least 4 years experience with markup and layout (HTML5, CSS3).
- Experience with module bundling tools like Webpack and gulp.
- A demonstrable understanding of MVC and MVVM patterns.
- Excellent understanding of Object-Oriented Programming concepts, design patterns, and data structures.
- Experience with a Version Control system (Git).
- Experience with cross-browser design and functional constraints.
- Experience working with Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment technologies.
- Experience working with Docker and container orchestration.
- Direct experience with or exposure to testing in an Agile delivery model.
- Highly organized and self-directed. Comfortable being very proactive about asking for help and feedback.
- Highly collaborative in a team environment. Always happy to help others if needed.
- Ability to clearly communicate and work with business and technical co-workers.
- Fluent or near-native English speaker
- Eager to work in a fast-paced, high-energy team environment with aggressive deadlines and a strong work ethic
- Comfortable working with requirements that change based on user feedback