Full-time Systems Engineer - Remote - Europe Time Zone (GMT - GMT+2)
C4Media, Inc.* - an established, global leader of continuing education and knowledge-sharing for professional software developers - is looking for a Systems Engineer to oversee InfoQ and QCon systems and assist us with our evolving cloud infrastructure.
(*C4Media, Inc., founded in 2007, is based in Toronto, Canada and owns QConferences.com and InfoQ.com)
To be successful you are someone who is well-organized, accountable, detailed, disciplined in organizing your daily work and a self-starter, self-learner and open-minded person who is able to identify and take directions.
Rather than being someone who is looking for guidance, you are instead the type of person who can establish a direction and guide others into following it.
You need to be fluent in written & spoken English, work productively in a remote environment both independently and as a team member, be able to travel internationally on occasion and have reliable, high-speed internet, as well as a good workstation or laptop and a quiet home office environment.
You need to be able to pick up an already existing project, understand its existing state and be proactive in making improvements.
Please click video link below for details about C4Media:
You will be working collaboratively with the development teams of InfoQ and QCon and lead the effort of evolving our cloud infrastructure to meet the needs of our products by:
- Developing, managing and monitoring all installed systems and infrastructure
- Installing, configuring, testing and maintaining operating systems, application software and system management tools in our cloud infrastructure and legacy data center
- Supporting with the cloud transition from the legacy data center
- Ensuring systems and infrastructure availability
This position will exercise your systems engineering skills and you will be responsible for:
- Proactively participating in the design of our infrastructure
- Evolving and maintaining our cloud infrastructure
- Developing and maintaining automation around infrastructure provisioning
- Managing and monitoring all existing systems
- Ensuring the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Developing and maintaining security, backup, and redundancy strategies
To be qualified, you need to have practical experience in the field and possess the following mandatory skills:
- Solid AWS experience (e.g. EC2, RDS, DB clusters, VPC, ELB, CloudFormation, SQS, ElastiCache, etc)
- Networking knowledge
- Experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting UNIX /Linux based environments
- Experience with the administration and performance tuning of application stacks (e.g. Apache, Tomcat)
- Scripting skills (e.g. shell scripts)
- Database administration knowledge (mainly MySQL / MariaDB)
- Experience with monitoring systems (e.g. Grafana, Kibana, Nagios, ELK)
- Configuration management (e.g. Puppet)
We consider it a plus if you can bring with you knowledge around:
- Automation software (e.g. Jenkins)
- Extended scripting skills (Groovy)
- Proxy servers (HAProxy)
- Virtualization / containerization
- Join our Great Culture and an amazing global team of highly motivated individuals with diverse skills and backgrounds worldwide.
Established, Growing Company. C4Media has been around since 2007 (12 years) and is a financially stable, growing company based out of Toronto, Canada.
Work 100% Remotely. Your home-base can be anywhere in Europe. 100% of our staff work from home. (Please note that Europe GMT to GMT+2 is a requirement and we will not be able to accept applications outside of this geography.)
Paid Time Off. We provide 25 paid days/calendar year in the 1st year and 30 paid days thereafter (inclusive of local public holidays).
4.5 Day Work-Week. The staff in Canada and the Americas takes Friday afternoons off.
Keep Learning. We offer up to $2,500 reimbursement & 5 paid days off for qualified continuing education related to your career path.
Have-A-Great-Life Vacation. We offer a $500-$1,000 annual contribution towards a qualified “experience vacation”
Paid Sabbaticals. Every 5 years, full-time staff qualifies for paid sabbaticals of up to 2 months.
Home Office Equipment. After a few months with us, we financially support some of the things that make your home office more comfortable & productive (ergonomic desks & chairs, external monitors, newer laptops, head-sets).
Annual Company Meeting. Come and visit a new country with us every year!
Benefits subject to change and local laws.
We hire based on talent. Apply only if you meet our performance and abilities guidelines. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in any aspect of the selection process. We will only be able to reach out to candidates who have been selected for assessments and interviewing. As a condition of employment, we will conduct a comprehensive reference check, including criminal record and education verification.