Spreedly is a rapidly growing, growth private-equity funded digital payments company with headquarters located in downtown Durham, North Carolina. We've developed a high volume, global solution to support our vision that the world is better with a diversified, inclusive, payment ecosystem.
Our employees help build a culture that values independence, transparency, and collaboration in a digital-first communication environment. We hope you do your best work at Spreedly and find a mature workplace striving to support the ebb and flow of work-life harmony.
The Infrastructure team is focused on the development and operation of the infrastructure that handles millions of transactions, and to support our growth, we must continue expanding the platform. Given this, we're searching for a Systems Engineer to join our team to help scale us up. As a member of Infrastructure, you might be responsible for troubleshooting a customer issue, provisioning a new service in our production environment, or helping to expand the use of our content delivery network. You will also be focused on delivering services in a way that lets other Engineering teams use and operate them independently. Finally, since our business is working with credit card data, thinking about security and compliance is a way of life at Spreedly, as is building sustainable processes to keep things safe.
We're looking for a Systems Engineer who is not afraid to jump into complex infrastructure and systems problems and make sense of them. Our team is largely composed of Senior Systems Engineers, so you will be surrounded by experts who want to help you grow. We regularly deal with the deeper fabric of software – think encryption, encoding, and security, all within the context of a distributed system. You don't have to be an expert in any of those aspects, but you should be really open to learning about them.
- A willingness to be a generalist and dig into new things you've never done before
- Excellent written communications, and a track record of documenting your work
- Interest in building and operating systems on AWS
- Comfort treating infrastructure as code (we use Ansible, Packer, Docker, and Jenkins)
- Familiarity with modern cloud provisioning tools (like Terraform)
- The ability to operate semi-autonomously, sorting your own immediate priorities out of the ever-shifting needs of a startup environment
- A quiet confidence in your ability to learn new tech as necessary. Today the team uses Amazon Linux and Ubuntu to run applications like NGINX, Consul, Vault, and Riak... but are always pragmatically evaluating new services and tools
What We Offer
- Competitive salary
- Outstanding medical and dental benefits(we pay 100% of monthly premiums for employees + families)
- Life and long-term disability insurance
- Medical and dependent care FSA
- Optional vision insurance
- Open PTO policy
- 12 weeks paid Family Leave
- Matching 401k plan (5% up to $5,000 yearly)
- Monthly digital lifestyle stipend ($150)
- Professional development opportunities including $3,000 annual stipend and access to LinkedIn Learning
When travel and in-office work commences
- Remote friendly work environment. Even our local employees are remote 3 days per week!
- Tues./Thurs. are in-office days for local employees - the rest of the week employees are free to work wherever they choose
- Paid lunches on in-office days for local employees
- Quarterly visits to HQ for remote employees
We are open to remote candidates, with the caveat that you must be located in the continental US and be able to travel to our Durham office once a quarter. With ~30% of our engineers already remote, we are experienced supporting remote employees. If you are remote we'd like for you to have had prior experience working in a remote setting.
We're constantly striving to have the fairest and most productive hiring process possible. We want to ensure that every candidate is treated equally and our interactions are designed with that goal in mind. If you want to get a sense for what your application process will look like, we'd encourage you to read the following: Stop Hazing Your Potential Hires
and Programming Puzzles Are Not the Answer
If this at all sounds interesting, we'd love to hear from you!
Spreedly is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We actively work to drive out even unintentional discrimination in our hiring processes via practices like blindly graded work samples, structured interviews, and diversity awareness training.
Due to the sensitive nature of what Spreedly does- handling payment data- candidates must complete a successful background check. If you have concerns along those lines, please discuss with us sooner rather than later- we do not want you to waste time in the hiring process and get disqualified at the end if we can help it.
Some of our positions are open to remote applicants. If this is the case it will be sited in the job posting just below the position name. Unless otherwise stated, remote positions are open to candidates in the contiguous US only. We are not set up to support remote employees from CA, NY, WA or outside the contiguous US. All applicants must have a US work visa.
We appreciate your interest in our company. Because of the high volume of resume flow, we will only respond to those candidates that we think will be a potential fit.