Do you enjoy designing, building, tuning, monitoring, and maintaining SaaS, web, and internal infrastructures and all of its pieces? Do words like resilient, secure, fault-tolerant, high availability, and scalable translate into action for you? Do you love tuning the performance of databases, websites, and infrastructures? Do you think proactively to prevent issues from happening? Do you have a passion for building tools and pipelines that eases pain points and makes teams more productive?
If you answered yes to these questions, we are sure this position will sound super exciting to you. 🤩
We are looking for a friendly person in love with systems, IT, DevOps, SRE, DBRE, and sysadmin to join our team. 🚀
Keep reading for more details! 📝
Become Our New DevOps Systems Engineer!
In your job as a DevOps Systems Engineer, your mission will be to make our SaaS infrastructure serve millions of requests per day and put technology to work for us.
WP Media is the French company behind successful WordPress plugins like WP Rocket and Imagify. WP Rocket is the premium caching plugin for WordPress used by +1,000,000 websites and +120,000 customers worldwide. Our plugin makes sites go at the speed of light in just a few clicks. Imagify is our free image optimization service, including a free WordPress plugin: we have already optimized more than 2,000,000,000 images! 😲
You will join our Engineering Group, which is spread across Canada, Egypt, France, Kenya, Nicaragua, Portugal, Romania, and U.S. To facilitate this international teamwork, we would prefer you to live in a time zone between GMT+3 to GMT-5. We are so curious to know which new country will be added to our distributed team map! 🌍
What You Will Be Doing:
Here is a list describing the tasks involved in this position (do you happen to like making lists? So do we!):
- Systems Engineering
- Prevent incidents from ever happening.
- Make monitoring and alerting alert on symptoms and not on outages.
- Performance tuning, back-up and recovery, monitoring, troubleshooting, installations, patches and upgrades, security, and automation
- Design, build, and maintain infrastructure pieces that are resilient, secure, fault-tolerant, and scale to server hundred of thousands of concurrent users and millions of requests per day.
- Debug and resolve production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Plan the growth of our infrastructure.
- Make our continuous integration and deployment processes to make it as boring as possible.
- Reduce barriers for engineers to deploy and optimize systems
- Evaluate, introduce, and operationalize container and orchestration tools
- Document every action so your findings turn into repeatable actions–and then into automation.
During this journey, you will get cross-training and growth opportunities by working with your fellow Dev teammates on internal projects.
What Do You Need To Excel at This Job:
The WP Media team is diverse and composed of people from all over the world. Respect, collaboration, and inclusivity are some of our core values (more on this below). Every day of work is an exciting opportunity to get in touch with fantastic people who will enrich your cultural and professional background.
Proficient knowledge of English.
Empathetic and collaborative communication is key: you are comfortable writing, speaking, and listening in English with technical and non-technical teammates.
Passion and humbleness.
You are a skilled, passionate, and humble developer who is friendly, collaborative, and supportive. Solving problems and building solutions that help people are the values that make your work special and rewarding.
Considering how your work impacts others.
Your code is a pleasure to use, read, and understand. When working in the codebase, you leave things better than when you found them. You value personal growth and constructive feedback. People feel good around you because you love sharing what you know while continuously improving yourself, remaining thoughtful and flexible in your approach.
Proven DevOps, Systems Engineering, and SaaS experience.
You bring proven experience in building, improving, optimizing, securing, scaling, and maintaining SaaS infrastructures. You know sysadmin on Linux-based web servers. You have solid experience in VPS and maybe even Google Cloud or AWS. You can make technical decisions on how to improve our infrastructure including evaluating managed services, security, reliability, and scalability.
- Work comfortably within GMT+2 to GMT-5 time zone range.
- Be a strong written and spoken English communicator. Why? Though we are a global company, English is our company's working language. We require strong communication to ensure everyone can understand one another and collaborate well together.
- Think about systems in big picture and granular details → edge cases, failure modes, behaviors, specific implementations, and impacts
- Strong automation experience with at least one configuration/deployment management system, such as Ansible (what we use), Terraform, Chef, and/or Puppet.
- Proficient Linux administration
- Deep understanding of and hands-on experience with networking including firewalls, load balancers, proxy servers, routing, TCP/IP, DNS, etc.
- Strong experience with containers and container orchestration with Docker and Kubernetes
- Understanding of security and complementary technologies e.g. VPN, LDAP, SSL etc
- Hands-on experience managing NGINX, MySQL, and PostgreSQL
- Proficient with git and git workflows
- Proficient in leveraging CI and CD tools to automate testing and deployment
- Strong scripting skills with Bash and Python
- Hands-on experience with monitoring and alerting system such as Grafana (what we use)
- Highly collaborative
- Strong written and verbal communicate
- Document all the things so you don't need to learn the same thing twice.
Do you want to know a few other things we appreciate about our candidates? Don’t worry if you don’t have experience in any of these areas. We’ll teach you.
- Previous freelance or remote job experience.
Slack will be your virtual office, where all the life of the company takes place.
- The involvement in the engineering community.
We support our teammates to attend and/or speak at conferences, and to volunteer within the community.
Love for cats or Corgis! 😸🐶
What would our working days be without our four-legged friends?
What Else You Should Know About Our Company: WP Media
Founded in 2014 in the beautiful Lyon, France, WP Media
is an equal opportunity employer with a distributed team of +35 teammates living around the world.
Do We Share the Same Values?
Mutual respect, collaboration, and inclusivity.
These are the fundamental values that support our life as a team.
Healthy balance between work and private life.
We encourage our employees to enjoy their family and their hobbies with flexible working hours and minimum vacation policy (you should take a minimum of 5 weeks per year: really, we don’t count them!).
We care about the work you do, not about the hours you sit at your desk.
You can organize your working day with flexible working hours. There are no time cards to stamp, just customers to make happy and friendly teammates to work with!
We have a public salary grid
. Once a year, when the company does well, we share our profits
with the team in the form of bonuses.
We like to see each other in person whenever possible.
Every year, we organize a trip with the whole team and spend a week of coworking and fun activities together.
To give you an idea, so far we have traveled to Spain, Portugal, and Mexico.
Now that we've told you so much about us, it's your turn. 😉
Let us know why you would like to become our DevOps Systems Engineer and why you think you are the person we are looking for.
We can’t wait to receive your application! 🌟