XWP has collaborated on some of the most ambitious and successful WordPress projects and partnered with the likes of Google, News Corp, and Penske Media Corporation (PMC) to bring richer technologies and delightful user experiences to the open web.
Our team of 55+ experts (from 20+ countries and 6 continents) enjoy challenging work, service-focused and collaborative teammates, and many opportunities to grow and learn. We have a passion and enthusiasm for what we do and a sincere care for each other and our clients.
We are looking for the right person to join us to lead and grow our engineering team, supporting delivery of exceptional software and great client experiences, within a supportive and growth-oriented environment.
Who You Are
- Your natural bias is towards servant leadership and empowering your colleagues to solve problems well.
- Your active listening skills and empathy cultivate psychological safety in your workplace.
- You are fueled by a balanced blend of humility and confidence.
- You appreciate order and efficiency, but have an action-oriented approach.
- You have an appetite for learning and self-development.
- You value autonomy and have the self-management skills to operate dependably in a fully-remote role.
What You’ve Done
- This isn’t your first time managing a team of engineers. You’ve spent more than a few years developing, coaching, and mentoring developers and growing technical leaders
- You’ve actively participated in hiring and onboarding new engineers into agile development teams and worked to build and document scalable processes and documentation.
- Your hands-on background in software engineering and architecture has prepared you for the technical requirements of this role.
What You’ll Do Here
Grow strong engineering leaders and engineers
- Champion learning & development opportunities for our engineering team
- Cultivate a culture of knowledge sharing, mentoring, and professional growth
- Coach our engineering team on personal effectiveness, great teamwork, and wise leadership
Support our engineering recruiting and scheduling
- Guide the selection of engineers for Delivery teams
- Coordinate the continuing development of our code challenges, technical interview approach, and overall evaluation of engineers in the recruitment process.
- Grow our reputation as experts and as a desirable place to work, making positive connections with future team members
Manage engineering teams
- Help ensure engineering teams are set up for success on projects
- Provide proactive support to engineering leaders to help ensure project success and coach to resolution when they escalate problems for support
- Maintain focus on coaching and empowering teams with the support and tools they need to solve their own problems well and grow their problem-solving abilities
Assist with client account management
- Facilitate (and complete as necessary) engineering estimations (velocity-based) in collaboration with Head of Delivery to support the sales process and set teams up for success
- Support Head of Delivery and Sales Team in creating a great client experience and loyalty and resolving client-experience issues
What Success Looks Like
- Projects delivering to our engineering standards and client expectations without needing significant support from outside the team
- Engineers feeling they have meaningful career and professional development opportunities at XWP
- Effective estimation of engineering effort for projects, reducing surprises and resetting expectations early and smoothly when needed
- Attracting and effectively evaluating the engineers we need
- Having the trust and confidence of the engineering team
- Leading by example and treating others with respect
Payscale & Benefits
- Trust and support from your colleagues (we look out for each other and work together towards our shared goals and vision)
- The rewards of a highly collaborative culture (we’re a team, not a working group)
- The joys of remote work done right: schedule flexibility, skip the commute, more time for family and interests outside of work
- The chance to play an important part in helping XWP achieve its full potential and make a meaningful difference for our clients, team members and the open web.
- An expected salary range of USD $125,000 to $150,000, profit sharing, paid leave, Unleash+ allowance of $2,500 per year to enrich your life, and other benefits.
Are you intrigued?
Apply now and tell us about yourself, what this role will mean to you, and why you are who we want to work with.
If you are not the one we are looking for, please share this with anyone you know who might be!