We're hiring one or two more professional writers to join us full time.
Our writing team is currently researching the child custody process in each of the 50 U.S. states (one state at a time — a big project). We call and email attorneys, mediators and other custody experts, then write the information we learn into 10+ webpages per state (like this page on California custody schedules
). The pages must be well organized and easy to understand; they are geared toward parents navigating the custody process, not law professionals.
Previous research experience isn't required. However, you must be an excellent writer who can match our site's concise, simple style. You must have native English proficiency, though you can live anywhere in North or South America.
The starting salary is USD $12 per hour (as a 1099 contractor). If you're not a U.S. citizen, you'll be paid the equivalent in your local currency.
We'd like to hire you if:
- You have professional writing experience and/or training.
- You would like to research topics by calling and emailing law professionals.
- You can stay on task without supervision and work independently.
- You want to work from home in a long-term, full-time position.
- You have native English writing and speaking skills.
- You live in North or South America.
- We get along. (To see the team you'll be joining, visit our about us page.)
Our company is Custody X Change. We sell an app that creates child custody schedules and parenting plans. It helps families make difficult decisions following separation and facilitates communication between parents who may not get along anymore. This reduces conflict and saves people a ton of money in legal fees. We keep the focus on what's helpful to current and future customers, which is why our writers are now expanding the state-specific content on our site.
If you want to join a small, distributed team and help people discover a genuinely helpful product, we should talk.
To apply, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and:
- Include your resume in PDF format.
- Attach three to four writing samples.
- Somehow use the word “carrot” in the subject of your email.
- Answer the following six prompts in the email body, in this order:
- Describe what you like to write about. (50–100 words)
- Where are you based, and why are you looking for a remote job? (25–50 words)
- Why will you do well working independently, with limited supervision? (50–100 words)
- How do you feel about arranging and doing phone interviews with strangers? (25–50 words)
- What do you think about the starting salary? (25–50 words)
- What is your ultimate career goal? (50–100 words)
P.S. We want everyone working here to be happy. For the most part, you can set your own hours. You'll be evaluated on results, nothing else.