Serial Box is seeking a full stack software engineer to work with our server team on our web frontend and API server.
Applications will be reviewed starting November 16.
- Working on our API using Ruby on Rails and GraphQL to deliver capability to all platforms
- Integrate with 3rd party data sources and APIs in Rails to keep our database in sync with the various sources
- Work with Product, UX, and Design teams to creatively solve complex problems
- Ensure implementations follow web standards, accessibility, and usability best practices
- Contribute to our code base and help ensure that our coding standards and patterns are observed through code reviews and pair programming
- You have three or more years experience in web development
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent training and experience
- You feel comfortable working on server-side data pipelines, and API integrations, and SQL data modeling
- You have experience with Ruby on Rails, or similar web frameworks and programming languages (like Django/Python, Spring/Java, etc.)
- You know when and how to write unit tests to cover the critical functionality of your code
- You enjoy full stack development and getting your hands dirty with both frontend and backend code
- You are eligible to work in the United States and work in the Eastern Time zone
About the Process:
- As a small team, we will do our best to respond to as many applicants as we can, but we will not be able to respond to every candidate who applies
- We work during Eastern Time office hours, so first rounds interviews will be phone or video calls during those hours
About the Company:
Serial Box is building the future of listening and reading. We deliver audiobooks in snackable bites with a reading option. Our mission is to bring listeners 20+ minutes of entertaining audio story every day -- daily immersion in story goes a long way to sparking creativity, building empathy, and reducing stress. Our curated platform includes third-party content we curate, Serial Box Exclusives we’ve developed with Marvel, Warner Brothers, BBC, and other partners, as well as Serial Box Originals created by teams of bestselling authors. We’ve been featured in The New York Times, Wired, NPR, The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline, Variety, and Forbes.
- "Like Game of Thrones but for your ears”—i09
- "The HBO of reading”—NPR
- "Best of the year”—Apple
- "Must-have app”—Buzzfeed
We’re a venture-backed startup and our investors have helped grow some of the best brands in media and consumer categories such as Gimlet, Glossier, Slate, Warby Parker, Hotel Tonight, and Outdoor Voices.
This is a full-time staff position. Serial Box offers a wide array of benefits including competitive salaries, stock options, health, dental, vision, commuter benefits, health/wellness benefits, and a generous vacation policy. We’re committed to diversity of all kinds — not just on our team, but in our writers rooms and in the stories we bring to listeners and readers. We pride ourselves on a welcoming, weird and witty culture and look for people who share those values in every hire we make.
Serial Box is a digital entertainment platform (audio and publishing) based in NYC. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Serial Box not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination