Calling all C# developers: We're building a new way to use DuckDuckGo on Windows and we need your help.
We are a diverse and fully distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join us as a Lead, Windows Engineer to help build brand new privacy solutions from the ground up.
As part of our growing team, you will collaborate with team members at all levels to bring new products to market. Examples of projects you might work on include leading the development of consumer privacy applications on Windows. You will take direct responsibility of all aspects related to products built on Windows, build new features, drive improvements, and own product maintenance.
We are fully-remote and empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their projects. If you'd thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction -- you'll fit right in!
What you will do:
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Lead development of consumer privacy applications on Windows
- Lead technical design and architecture discussions, and get buy-in among groups of opinionated stakeholders.
- Advise members of the team in both functional and career growth.
- Write pragmatic, performant, and testable C# code that works consistently across Windows devices.
- Be a subject matter expert at the company in Windows application development ecosystem.
- Take privacy and user experience into consideration throughout the engineering process.
What we are looking for:
- Advanced level of expertise in Windows development (any combination of WPF, .NET, Win32, C++)
- C# experience
- Experience building user interfaces
- Experience working on at least one large consumer facing application
- Experience leading technical architecture decisions for complex products.
- Deep understanding of MV* concepts.
- Comfortable learning new languages and ideas.
- Experience collaborating with engineers working on other platforms (e.g. macOS, Android, iOS)
- Experience collaborating with product/design to build polished consumer facing products.
- Experience as team lead or engineering manager.
- Interest in pursuing more of a leadership/advisory/management-like career path.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We strive to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
DuckDuckGo does not work with any recruiting agencies or services. Instead, we work with each candidate one-on-one throughout a unique hiring process that we've built to reflect our company culture.
DuckDuckGo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Use the application to apply!