Remote Senior Frontend Software Engineer
Role type: Full-time
Seniority: Senior Software Engineer (individual contributor)
Intro to the problem we are solving
If you want to launch a business today, there are plenty of products out there to help you get going - from Stripe for payments to Twilio for customer engagement.
How come figuring out taxes is so hard? Why isn’t there an easy way to implement a solution to handle all your taxes on products and services sold worldwide?
At Fonoa, we automate taxes for platforms, marketplaces, digital service providers, and e-commerce globally.
With our software, we help our clients reduce manual workload, cost of operations and compliance, and optimize their revenue.
Our product suite enables determining indirect tax rates on any sales transaction, creating localized compliant receipts & invoices, and reporting them to tax authorities.
Fonoa is serving small and large companies worldwide and help their developer, tax, and operations teams handle the tax complexities quickly, in an easy to implement and user-friendly way.
Fonoa is a technology startup founded in 2018 which launched its SaaS product in mid-2019. We have paying customers, a healthy pipeline, and backing from world-class VC funds and business angels from Europe and the US.
We are a remote-first team working across 9 countries (and we will continue to do so well after Covid). We focus on building best in class products based on observed customer needs and previous industry experience. Our team has an excellent track record of solving challenging problems at companies such as Uber, McKinsey, Trivago, Rocket Internet, and EY.
About the role
As a Senior Frontend Software Engineer at Fonoa, your task will be to bring our products to life. You will have a direct and immediate impact on everything we ship to our clients.
You will work very closely with our highly skilled teams to design, build, and iterate on a world-class web application from inception to infinite scale.
You will own the frontend and will contribute to user experience decisions and product design actively. We are solving one of the largest yet unsolved problems in global e-commerce and looking for developers with a hunger for a new challenge and drive to solve a ubiquitous problem for companies selling globally.
Our clients range from world-leading marketplaces, e-commerce, delivery to household-name mobility companies.
You will have an opportunity to create a web application that will make developers, product, and tax people’s lives much easier. You will also be able to innovate by creating a front-end no-code tool enabling users to fine-tune our software to their specific needs directly. It is a role that will be an excellent fit for someone that wants to do things the correct way (with tests, documentation, and clean code) and is a team player.
- Build and own our new web application, from reviewing mockups & design documents to acceptance testing and deployment
- Work closely with creative teams to establish the requirements for the user interfaces, often working from wireframes and rough mock-ups
- Write high quality robust, modular code following a predefined design system/library
- Internalize and understand customers’ needs and propose ideas and discuss solutions collaborating with the team on engineering, product & design
- Implement best practices in terms of accessibility and compatibility with cross-device and cross-browser features
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs as well as internal applications capabilities
Skills & Experience
- Full professional proficiency in English, written and spoken
- Strong experience with HTML and CSS
- Experienced with building SPAs with ReactJS
- Ability to write high-performant and clean code
- In-depth knowledge of the frontend ecosystem & tooling
- Experienced with the full development lifecycle, including understanding customers, architecture, design, coding, testing, and delivery
- Experienced with testing frameworks
- Experienced with Git workflows
Desired, but not necessary
- Experienced with React UI kits
- Experienced with building simple data visualizations (time series, donut charts, etc.) using external libraries
- Experience in building and improving an API server (REST)
- Experienced with building complex dashboards combining several internal or external micro-services/APIs
- Continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) environment
- Familiarity with Docker
- Familiarity with basic business concepts
- Having worked remotely
- Having worked in a dynamic start-up environment
- Having worked on a SaaS product, especially in B2B
- Having used modern collaboration tooling (Slack, Zoom, Jira, GitHub, G Suite)
- Ability to write engaging content to explain what you’ve built to other developers
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral)
- Self-driven, responsible, and keen to learn and improve
- Independent, goal-oriented, proactive attitude
- Disciplined and communicative in remote environments
- Collaborative and with a strong team-spirit
- Curious and interested in learning new things
- Fonoa is a fully remote company and team members working across 9 different countries in a fully-distributed way
- Flexible hours, set your own schedule that fits you
- Best ideas win, no matter who expresses them
- Builder’s first mindset. We give everyone a lot of autonomy to think of and deliver on their ideas
- We move fast and enable small teams to ideate, prototype, test, and iterate quickly
- Flat structure, excited team members, great incentives, no corporate BS
- We value writing, mental clarity, and neat digital organization skills
- We nurture asynchronous communication enabling everyone in the team to organize their work however they see fit
- A very competitive compensation package including equity
- Ability to work from any place in the world
- A budget to purchase any equipment you need to do your job properly or access to a co-working space
- An annual, expenses paid global meetup of the Fonoa team somewhere fun in the world (post-Covid)
- A place on a rocketship backed by best-in-class VCs and operators innovating in an overlooked and unsexy area and doing it profitably and sustainably
- A community and culture of builders and problem solvers
Remote but has to be between UTC-1 and UTC+3. Please don’t apply if you can’t fit your long-term schedule during those working hours. However, we will soon be expanding our preferred time zones, so stay tuned!