About the job
You will be focused on improving our single android app by updating the existing code but also building features that already exist in the web app and iOS app.
Working closely with the original architect of the iOS and android app you will contribute by building new features right away. Learning how and why customers (mostly real estate teams) use Follow Up Boss will take time and the sooner you bridge that knowledge gap the sooner you will be able to contribute to the strategic vision for the app. We work in 4 week cycles with a 2 week cool-down in between. The cycle is dedicated to customer facing value. A recent project was to add group texting. The cool-down is for bugs and technical debt. Current cool-down efforts have been to migrate existing Java code to Kotlin.
Why would you want to work here?
We’re a bootstrapped, profitable company started back in April of 2011. We're a young, ambitious company who only answers to our customers and we don’t just claim to be customer-centric - we live it
. We're fully remote and have been since day 1. Here's a few more reason's we think you'll love working here - and be sure to check out our video on how we work
- Opportunity to have a big impact on our growth and your career
- No red tape or pointless meetings
- Competitive base salary - top 10% in US; for this position the range is $150K - $162K
- Strong benefit package including a 401k with 6% match, health/dental/vision insurance for you and our family, funding for continuing education, paid parental leave, kindle + unlimited books, home office setup, company meetups, and 20 PTO + 10 sick days
- Solve challenging technical problems and put your skills to the test every day. We've processed over a billion emails; per month we send nearly 3 million text messages and handle 700k+ minutes of call time for tens of thousands of active customers.
- See a direct impact of your work and value you created for customers.
- Provide direct input on technical and non-technical decisions. Your opinion matters.
This role is for you if...
- You would describe yourself as patient, empathetic and having a good sense of humor.
- You’re independent, self-motivated and can stay efficient and productive without someone looking over your shoulder all day long
- You have superb written and verbal skills (with a professional yet fun demeanor)
- You are based in the United States (or similar time zone)
- You are happy to have direct communication with customers (we are customer driven).
Your qualifications include:
Self motivated and proactive mindset.
Remote work experience is required.
Based in the USA, with a quiet home office with fast internet.
- Published one or more Android apps.
- Experienced developer in Java or Kotlin.
- Know how to work with remote data via REST APIs.
- Capable of making use of standard libraries and APIs.
- Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies.
- Exceptional time management skills.
Attention to detail and commitment to quality.
- Security conscious.
- Pragmatic decision making.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Develop and improve our application.
- Help fix issues with the application.
- Mentor other team members.
30 Day Targets
- Become familiar with our mobile apps (iOS and Android) and their codebases.
- Become familiar with our API, which the mobile apps communicate with.
- Pair with mobile engineers to gain knowledge about the system and how we work.
- Help address priority bugs
60 Day Targets
- Implement new product features and improvements that deliver value to our customers.
- Improve how our product supports customers with larger teams.
90 Day Targets
- Implement improvements to the security of our app and customer's data.
- Assist in improving the performance of the Android apps.
- Continue improving our Android app to be a 5 star experience for our customers.
- Engage with customers and work to better drive users to newer versions of our mobile apps.
Core Engineering Values
- Code Quality
- Focus and Prioritization
- Customer Driven
- Leadership Qualities