This is a contract position with JetCake clients for talented Scala developers. You'll work directly with our clients on a variety of projects. You might find yourself building an API from scratch as the only engineer, coding new features while working in a team of developers, improving an existing system, debugging production issues, creating a technical design, or solving scalability challenges.
We’ve built and led product development teams at Hotwire, Expedia, OneKingsLane, Jigsaw (acquired by Salesforce), Lyft, among others. Inspired by our eye-opening experiences hiring remote talent, we started JetCake to connect Silicon Valley companies with software developers, UX/UI designers, product managers around the globe who want to do impactful work.
When you join the JetCake network, you go through in-depth training to show you the ropes of working with product development teams in Silicon Valley. And then we continue to support your professional success with on-going mentorship from our founders and hands-on classes led by internal or external experts
What you’ll do
- Design and code back-end systems, sub-systems, and features
- Write unit tests, integration tests, and system tests for your code
- Attend meetings such as daily standup, sprint planning, backlog grooming
- Help debug and solve critical production issues across the stack
- Write technical design documents
- Regularly communicate progress and blockers
- Work with non-technical stakeholders to scope timelines and feasibility
- Review code written by other developers
What you should have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of full-time (40 hrs/week) employment as a software engineer. Co-op work terms count
- Strong technical design and coding skills in: Scala, Java
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Experience in the full life cycle of software development, from design and coding to testing and deployment
- Understanding of systems engineering concepts such as reliability, security, monitoring, and scaling
- Familiarity with running back-end services in cloud platforms such as AWS, GCP, Azure
Expected work schedule is 40 hours/week, Monday to Friday. This position requires a 4 hour overlap with GMT business hours (8AM-12PM GMT). The work will be performed remotely. You will need to have a reliable internet connection, and a quiet place for participating in meetings over video conferencing or VOIP calls during work hours.
USD $50,000 to $75,000
NO AGENCIES or RECRUITERS please