At Fonoa, we automate taxes for the internet economy. If you want to launch a business today, there are plenty of products out there to help you get going - from Stripe for payments to Twilio for customer engagement.
How come figuring out taxes is so hard? Why isn’t there an easy way to implement a solution to handle all your taxes on products and services sold worldwide?
Our product suite enables determining indirect tax rates on any sales transaction, creating localized compliant receipts & invoices, and reporting them to tax authorities.
Our mission is to automate repetitive and fragmented manual tasks conducted by finance teams and developers via an easy to use API.
We are expanding our global presence and looking for many new team members to join us!
About the role
As a Senior Backend Software Engineer at Fonoa, your task will be to own several private and public-facing microservices products.
You will have a direct and immediate impact on everything we ship to our clients.
In your role, you will be in charge of product delivery from the very beginning. You will work closely with your product counterpart on designing the product, defining the specs, working on the code, ensuring it's properly tested and deployed.
We are solving one of the largest yet unsolved problems in global e-commerce and looking for developers with a hunger for a new challenge and drive to solve a ubiquitous problem for companies selling globally. Our clients range from world-leading marketplaces, e-commerce, delivery to household-name mobility companies.
- Design, develop and deploy efficient and effective microservices for our products
- Build reliable and easy to use REST APIs
- Generate impeccable API documentation for the micro-services you are responsible for
- Work on integrating our products with 3rd parties (e.g. payment processing companies, accounting tools, enterprise resources planning software, etc.)
- Test the software you are building
- Internalize and understand customers’ needs and propose ideas and discuss solutions collaborating with the team on engineering, product & design
- Implement best practices in terms of performance, scalability and security
Skills & Experience
You are the right fit if you
- Full professional proficiency in English, written and spoken
- At least 5 years experience in software development, with at least 3 of them designing and working on high-scale environments, ideally in C# or NodeJS alternatively. If you meet other requirements, but are proficient in a different language, that's completely fine. We look at languages as a tool - what's more important are your problem-solving skills.
- Extensive experience with building modern web applications using microservices architecture principles
- Experience with big-data processing and high volume queues
- Experience in building and documenting REST APIs
- Experience with SQL databases
- Experience with the full development lifecycle, including understanding customers’ needs, architecture, design, coding, testing, and delivery
- Hands-on experience with unit, integration and functional testing
Desired, but not required
- Experience with Agile development practices
- Experience with Docker and CI/CD
- Cloud experience, ideally Azure
- Having worked remotely
- Having worked in a dynamic start-up environment
- Fonoa is a fully remote company and team members working across 9 different countries in a fully-distributed way
- Flexible hours, set your own schedule that fits you
- Best ideas win, no matter who expresses them
- Builder’s first mindset. We give everyone a lot of autonomy to think of and deliver on their ideas
- We move fast and enable small teams to ideate, prototype, test, and iterate quickly
- Flat structure, excited team members, great incentives, no corporate BS
- We value writing, mental clarity, and neat digital organization skills
- We nurture asynchronous communication enabling everyone in the team to organize their work however they see fit
- A very competitive compensation package including equity
- Ability to work from any place in the world
- A budget to purchase any equipment you need to do your job properly or access to a co-working space
- An annual, expenses paid global meetup of the Fonoa team somewhere fun in the world (post-Covid)
- A place on a rocketship backed by best-in-class VCs and operators innovating in an overlooked and unsexy area and doing it profitably and sustainably
- A community and culture of builders and problem solvers
Remote but has to be between UTC-1 and UTC+3. Please don’t apply if you can’t fit your long-term schedule during those working hours. However, we will soon be expanding our preferred time zones, so stay tuned!
We only accept applications from individuals. We are not looking for outsourcing agencies. Any request or application from companies will not be processed.
More about Fonoa
At Fonoa, we automate taxes for platforms, marketplaces, digital service providers, and e-commerce globally.
With our software, we help our clients reduce manual workload, cost of operations and compliance, and optimize their revenue.
Fonoa is serving small and large companies worldwide and helping their developer, tax, and operations teams handle the tax complexities quickly, in an easy to implement and user-friendly way.
Fonoa is a technology startup founded in 2018 which launched its SaaS product in mid-2019. We have paying customers, a healthy pipeline, and backing from world-class VC funds and business angels from Europe and the US.
We are a remote-first team working across 9 countries (and we will continue to do so well after Covid). We focus on building best in class products based on observed customer needs and previous industry experience. Our team has an excellent track record of solving challenging problems at companies such as Uber, McKinsey, Trivago, Rocket Internet, and EY.