Remote work is one of the great equalisers of our time, allowing people to secure employment opportunities from companies around the world, no matter where they were born or where they live.
Yet, at a time when remote work is exploding, most companies are finding it too complex, costly and time consuming to employ workers internationally. At Omnipresent, we’re centralising this complexity and providing our clients, and their remote workers, with a simplified, cost effective and legally compliant employment experience. With a network of legal entities across the world, coupled with an automation-focused tech platform, we’re building the premier global employment-as-a-service offering on the market.
Having recently secured seed funding we’re looking to ramp up operations globally, so there couldn’t be a more exciting time to join us. We're searching for a Senior Backend Engineer to help set the foundations for our OmniPlatform, providing both architectural guidance and building the platform itself.
What problems will you be solving?
As the second hire into the engineering department your role will be wide ranging.
The OmniPlatform is a one stop shop for companies to employ their remote workforce and for employees to manage their employment. As every country our clients work in has vastly different employment laws and processes, one of your main challenges will be building software which handles these complexities in a way which provides the users with a single, unified experience.
Your other key stakeholder will be our operations team. You will work closely with our Head of product and Tech lead to domain model the existing ops processes and, based on this modelling, write the code to automate the processes.
What will you be doing?
- Work with Tech lead/Head of product/CEO to architect, domain model and build a platform which automates and abstracts very complex country specific employment processes.
- Work with Tech lead to make key architectural decisions (i.e when/if to move to micro service arch, when to use relational vs document DB, serverless vs k8s etc)
- Building APIs which integrate with various existing accounting/payroll/HR systems
- Building APIs which serve customer data to our OmniPlatform
- Ensuring every piece of code you write is rigorously tested
- Ensuring that every API we write conforms with modern security standards
- Constantly iterating and improving our CI/CD pipelines
- Coach/mentor any future BE devs we bring on board
What we’re looking for (in an ideal world):
- Very strong NodeJS/ experience, and ideally typescript too
- Good knowledge of at least one other language (preferably object oriented)
- Strong automated testing capability (Jest, supertest, TDD by default etc)
- Experience architecting and building highly complex region spanning applications
- Strong knowledge and experience with the AWS ecosystem
- Experience designing and maintaining both Relational and document/object based databases
- Knowledge of and experience writing and maintaining infrastructure as code (terraform/cloudformation)
- Experience with architecting, building and testing Microservices
- Knowledge of Serverless architectures
- Good understanding of modern web security practices
- Experience and knowledge of Domain driven design
- Experience working with/coaching junior/mid devs
- Good devops knowledge both building/designing CI/CD pipelines (CircleCI) and understanding the underlying philosophies
What else is in it for you?
- Interesting work and complex challenges: Being part of the founding team means this is greenfield work. You’ll decide the future of the tech stack and be fundamental to our success.
- Shared ownership - Being a part of our journey means you will own a piece of Omnipresent
- Annual vacation entitlement: 33 days including local holidays
- Equipment and infrastructure: We give you a budget for all the equipment you need to work effectively wherever you are
- Company retreats: We are planning biannual company-wide retreats post COVID, and well as socials and other team building activities
- Working with an innovative and rapidly growing startup team
- Flexible working - Work from anywhere in the world. We are as flexible as the work allows
- Start date: Mutually agreed as soon as possible
We believe remote working is a great equaliser and we practice what we preach. Inclusivity is fundamental to our mission and we are committed to conscious inclusion. We believe in the potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.