Save My Exams is an online education platform dedicated to helping students achieve better grades. We create high-quality and affordable resources that are used by millions of students, tutors and teachers all over the world to make studying easier and more enjoyable.
We’re looking for a Senior Full Stack Wordpress developer who cares deeply about education and is capable of owning all development responsibilities at Save My Exams.
As a Senior Developer, you will create new features, improve existing code, squash bugs, and help us rapidly scale our platform.
The position is full-time.
To love this role, here’s the type of person you are:
- You’re a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through from conception to completion. You will "own" features/tasks and are responsible for independent scoping, development, and testing.
- You're an excellent communicator, fluent in both verbal and written English, who makes sure nothing slips through the cracks. We believe communication is critical and there is no such thing as over-communicating. You choose the right time and the right medium to communicate.
- You have the curiosity and desire to learn and grow your skills.
- You're passionate about education and are excited to work on tasks that impact millions of students all over the world.
- You take pride in the quality and craftsmanship of your work rather than just doing it to get it done.
- You're a team player who is comfortable working alongside and helping other developers, and you don't take critical feedback personally. You welcome and embrace critical feedback.
- You're happy jumping between front-end and back-end development tasks, or tackling tasks which require both.
- You're happy working on tasks of all sizes - from small bug fixes and enhancements to large features/rewrites.
- You’re excited to be a key member of a small, remote company solving problems and taking responsibility in areas both inside and outside of development.
- Brainstorming & problem-solving with product, content and marketing teams
- Scope, write & build new features & applications
- Test software to ensure responsiveness & efficiency
- Architecture of the entire platform
- Maintaining & enhancing site performance
- Develop & manage well-functioning databases
- Triaging bugs & small enhancements
- Write, organise & update technical documentation & processes
- Website & data security
What we offer / Benefits:
Working for a fast-growing bootstrapped education company is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice.
Our positions are challenging, but also come with amazing advantages and opportunities.
Here’s what we offer:
Annual salary £50,000 - £75,000 ($65k-100k), depending on experience, skills & location
- Pension contribution
Remote working: work from your home or wherever you want! We’re UK based but our team are spread out all over the world – UK, Mexico, France, India and more.
Reasonable hours: we don’t expect (or want) you to work more than 40 hours per week.
Control over your time: choose to work when you’re most productive.
- Report directly to the CEO/COO
- We happily provide or reimburse software you’ll need as well as books or courses that promote continued learning.
- We give you the opportunity to solve challenging and meaningful problems that make a real difference to the lives of millions of students.
- Ability to work with some of the best people in Edtech through frequent interactions.
- Ownership & autonomy over your work and decision making
- And in case you were wondering: no politics, no b.s., and no jerks!
Skills & Experience - the must-haves:
- 5+ years of experience as a full stack Wordpress developer
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly.
- Ability to keep complex ideas and features simple
- Self-motivated and able to work independently & remotely
- Version control (Git / Github)
- Responsive HTML/CSS (ability to hand-write and make standards compliant)
- MySQL (custom tables, queries & data structures)
- Woocommerce & Woocommerce Subscriptions (with ability to customise)
- Custom WordPress theme development (without the use of frameworks or starter themes)
- Custom WordPress plugin development
Skills & Experience - the nice to haves:
- Write effective APIs
- Experience with Avada theme custom development
- Specific WordPress plugin experience with Advanced Custom Fields & WooCommerce
- WP-CLI experience, with ability to create custom commands
- Sever configuration, infrastructure management & basic Dev Ops
- Google Tag Manager
- Best practice UI / UX with ability to create wireframes & mockups
- Experience hiring & leading a team of developers
- Previous freelance or remote work experience
- Solid understand of SEO basics
Here’s an overview of our hiring process, so that you know what to expect:
- Application form
- Online technical test
- Online interviews
- Test Project
Finally, we’re looking for someone who is able to start by the 15h January 2020.