Ad Hoc Labs are the makers of Firewall, Dialed, and Burner, one of the top-grossing independent apps in the world. Our mission is to build best-in-class software products that empower our millions of customers with better control of their privacy, communications, and identity, and to do it as a self-sustaining company whose culture and practices we can be proud of.
Our bestselling app Burner has been the category leader in virtual phone number apps for more than five years, serving millions of consumers with a way to generate additional phone numbers when needed, keep them indefinitely or use them only temporarily, and delete them when finished – all without the hassle of wireless carriers or contracts. Burner was named a top 50 app by TIME and has been covered extensively in the press, including the New York Times who said “a thin layer of privacy between yourself and the rest of the world, when needed, is hard to put a price on”.
As a Senior Platform Engineer, you will be a key member of our engineering team building the next generation of mobile privacy tools. You will work closely with the mobile and product teams to architect new features and build out fast, scalable backend services.
What is the platform team like at Ad Hoc Labs?
Our platform team is the core of our customer experience. Each day they work on high volume projects that power our mobile applications. The team is tightly knit and works closely on all aspects of architecting, development, and deployment of the platform. They work cross functionally with the mobile and product teams to design new features and services. We believe engineers are highly motivated when they can work autonomously with clear goals and support and continually focus on improvement in our process to create that environment.
Our team members are encouraged to embrace new technologies/frameworks and find the best tool for every problem. We have micro services written in Scala, backed by Postgres and Redis, managed and deployed using Kubernetes. We leverage AWS across the platform, including AWS Lambda and Serverless.
As a senior member of the team, you will lead cross functional teams to design, develop, and deploy products. You will take an active role in shaping the engineering culture and mentoring other members of the team. Senior platform engineers enjoy a high degree of autonomy and ownership of the services they build.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for team players who want to grow rapidly in their career. We think these skills and experiences make a good fit for this role. There is no such thing as a perfect fit - we want to hear from you if you believe you have the chops and are excited about what we do.
- At least 5 years of professional software development experience. Any experience with JVM languages is a bonus!
- A familiarity with or willingness to learn Scala.
- You've been the technical lead designing and developing highly responsive REST APIs, working with technical and non technical stakeholders.
- Solid foundation with relational database design and experience working with Postgres at scale.
- Strong ownership of the full development lifecycle, including designing, development, testing, and deployment.
- You've worked on a small, highly collaborative team.
- You want to own and drive engineering culture.
Other useful experiences
- You've worked with or designed high volume messaging services at scale
- Deep understanding of telephony or VOIP systems. You've previously lead a technical integration with a telephony provider such as Twilio, Bandwidth, etc
- Building microservices and distributed systems
- Fraud detection at scale
- Implementing analytics pipelines
- Solid understanding of software testing principles
- Working with AWS or other cloud computing service
What you'll be doing
- Designing, developing, and leading others in building fast, scalable server features and services to support the Burner mobile applications.
- Maintaining and improving existing infrastructure, and be willing to jump in when things break.
- Working closely with the DevOps team to monitor performance and coordinate deploys across platform services.
- Brainstorming potential features to align with company strategy. We believe good ideas come throughout the organization and will give you the support to make your idea a reality.
- Work with junior team members as the technical lead on projects and as a mentor.
Perks and benefits
- Health and Dental coverage for employees, dependents, and domestic partners
- 401K with company 4% match
- Choose how you want to invest in your career development. We reimburse for training, conferences, and online learning resources.
- Work remotely in style. Get a stipend to set up or enhance your remote work setup.
Our hiring process
Our hiring process is structured to find talented, eager people who are looking for something more than just another engineering role. We think the hiring process should assess your ability to succeed day to day at Ad Hoc Labs. You'll meet a cross section of the team you'll work with daily and we'll work through example problems and scenarios you'll encounter in the work, not problems meant to be gotchas. No BS, we promise. We're looking for people that have a solid technical foundation, clear communicators, and those excited about the opportunity here at Ad Hoc Labs.
We believe that a team is more than the sum of its parts. We put the customer experience at the center of all of our projects. We take pride in the work we do and like to have fun doing it. We are always trying to learn, from our customers, from one another, and wherever inspiration lives. We believe people do their best work when they have the authority to succeed, the support to succeed, and clear metrics for success.
During the current pandemic, Ad Hoc Labs is a fully remote company and we anticipate remaining that way through 2021. Candidate needs to be able to maintain a productive remote working environment with access to video quality internet.
Ad Hoc Labs, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We seek to employ the most qualified person in every job. Ad Hoc Labs, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, age, color, race, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical & mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws.