SPYSCAPE, the home of secrets & skills, uses stories & experiences to inspire ordinary people to do extraordinary things. We all have valuable ‘intelligence skills’, and from our 70,000 sq ft physical HQ (the #1 rated museum & experience in New York City) to our digital content and experiences, we help you to discover & develop yours.
In the physical world, SPYSCAPEHQ in New York City is the number one ranked new museum & experience on Google and TripAdvisor. It features seven core experiential zones, plus a huge temporary space that currently features the first ever James Bond exhibition in the USA.
In the digital world: our SPYCRAFT content includes authentic online spy skills assessments designed by a former Head of Training at British Intelligence, plus related articles, puzzles and videos; our True Spies podcasts (with hosts Hayley Atwell and Vanessa Kirby) provide unique insights into the world of espionage; Our SPYFLIX film festival and SPYCON live events platform, plus numerous other exciting new initiatives, will launch in the coming months.
We are looking for a software engineer to join our development team.
We use Ruby on Rails and Node.js with PostgreSQL for our server-side web applications, continuously deploying them to AWS Fargate and AWS Lambda using CircleCI. We use React, React Native, and TypeScript for building rich client-side applications on SPYSCAPE.com, on interactives in our HQ, and as mobile applications.
We care deeply about the quality of our work and we use code review and pair-programming to ensure our code is not only timely but also simple, clean and covered by tests.
We use agile ways of working to ensure we are consistently delivering working software at a sustainable pace, seeking feedback from users and stakeholders early and often.
What you’ll be working on
Our current projects include:
- Building a rich immersive experience for SPYSCAPE fans in React Native.
- Continuing to enhance the web site, including personalised spy-skills profiles
- Supporting the operation of the physical HQ, including on-site interactives like the 360-degree Surveillance game, our RFID ticketing, and admin systems.
Who we’re looking for
- Experience with Ruby and Rails
- Understanding and appreciation of BDD / TDD / Testing
- Interest in spies, games, stories, immersive experiences, and/or helping people uncover their hidden skills
- Desire to work in a small, independent tech team, across a wide variety of projects, within a fast-moving business
- Ability to help shape our work on both a product level and an architectural level
- Experience developing mobile apps (preferably with React Native)
- Experience with AWS deployments using Terraform and Fargate
- Experience with frontend web styling using SCSS, styled components, or similar
Time and place
- Permanent, full-time role
- Fully remote, London time zone
- Immediate start
Everyone is welcome
We aim to maintain an inclusive and diverse environment, and welcome applications from everyone, especially groups who are underrepresented in our industry.
We’re also happy to discuss flexible working arrangements, and to make reasonable accommodations for individual needs.
Drop us an email at email@example.com and we’ll set up a time to have a chat.