Spreedly is a rapidly growing, growth private-equity funded digital payments company with headquarters located in downtown Durham, North Carolina. We've developed a high volume, global solution to support our vision that the world is better with a diversified, inclusive, payment ecosystem.
Our employees help build a culture that values independence, transparency, and collaboration in a digital-first communication environment. We hope you do your best work at Spreedly and find a mature workplace striving to support the ebb and flow of work-life harmony.
There are multiple roles open for the appropriate candidate. A Senior/Staff engineer on the Architecture team is a business minded, hands-on technologist, who ensures that Spreedly’s business strategy is supported by proper systems architecture to achieve its current and future goals. Their objective is to function as the technical liaison for Product initiatives – transforming customer needs and synthesizing them into technical solutions.
A Senior/Staff engineer in this role must fully “grok” both the business and the technical constraints within which it operates. The successful candidate is able to show how the current and future needs of an organization will be met in an efficient, sustainable, and adaptable manner. This individual works with their team and other engineering teams to develop corresponding roadmaps and project plans, then leads and supports their team to execute on that roadmap. It’s expected that a member of the Architecture team will champion one of the key initiatives underway.
Decisions aren’t made in a vacuum and the architect will work alongside their fellow engineering teams, the business, infrastructure, and informations security to achieve elements of the architectural roadmap. Some work required to achieve elements of the architecture roadmap may be done in a federated manner, meaning other engineering teams have responsibility for executing some or all of a project. The position is responsible for working with the appropriate teams to integrate or aid in these efforts.
Spreedly’s environment is a SaaS platform consisting primarily of AWS, Heroku, Ruby, Rails, Elixir, Phoenix, Riak, Kafka, Postgres, Redis, and Linux ... but we are always pragmatically evaluating new languages and tools. We regularly deal with encryption, encoding, and security, all within the context of a distributed system.
Additionally, members of the Architecture Team stay abreast of current and future trends by researching advanced technologies and approaches regarding best practices in the field.
Skills / What We're Looking For
- A track record of delivering well-crafted software
- A willingness to be a generalist and the curiosity to try new things you've never done before
- Excitement about building products for Spreedly's customers, who are primarily businesses doing commerce and their developers who are using our API's and toolkits
- Excellent written communication skills, and a willingness to use them to document your work as necessary
- The ability to operate autonomously, sorting your own immediate priorities out of the ever-shifting needs of a startup environment
- Be a curious explorer, ready to roll up their sleeves, open to new technologies, prototype as needed and be a technical team-member, leading by example.
- Understand business processes and have the ability to translate business problems/needs into technical solutions & technical solutions into business value
- Develop roadmaps and projects that help achieve that vision, execute on the plan
- See the world today and tomorrow and be able to design flexibility in the environment to avoid ceilings or rework
- Confidence in your ability to learn new tech as necessary. Today we work primarily with Ruby, Rails, Elixir, Phoenix, Riak, Kafka, Postgres, Redis, and Linux ... but are always pragmatically evaluating new languages and tools
- Balance architecture concerns with business needs
- How technology can be used to solve a given business problem
- Champion key initiatives
What we offer
- What we offer
- Competitive salary + equity
- Outstanding medical and dental benefits(we pay 100% of monthly premiums for employees + families)
- Life and long-term disability insurance
- Medical and dependent care FSA
- Optional vision insurance
- Open PTO policy
- 12 weeks paid Family Leave
- Matching 401k plan (5% up to $5,000 yearly)
- Monthly digital lifestyle stipend ($150)
- Professional development opportunities including access to LinkedIn Learning
When travel and in-office work commences
- Remote friendly work environment. Even our local employees are remote 3 days per week!
- Tues./Thurs. are in-office days for local employees - the rest of the week employees are free to work wherever they choose
- Paid lunches on in-office days for local employees
- Quarterly visits to HQ for remote employees
Spreedly is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We actively work to drive out even unintentional discrimination in our hiring processes via practices like blindly graded work samples, structured interviews, and diversity awareness training.
Due to the sensitive nature of what Spreedly does- handling payment data- candidates must complete a successful background check. If you have concerns along those lines, please discuss with us sooner rather than later- we do not want you to waste time in the hiring process and get disqualified at the end if we can help it.
Some of our positions are open to remote applicants. If this is the case it will be sited in the job posting just below the position name. Unless otherwise stated, remote positions are open to candidates in the contiguous US only. We are not set up to support remote employees from CA, NY, WA or outside the contiguous US. All applicants must have a US work visa.
We appreciate your interest in our company. Because of the high volume of resume flow, we will only respond to those candidates that we think will be a potential fit.