You want to build software that matters.
You want to work with a small team and have meaningful ownership of projects.
You like moving fast, and you're a self-starter with a passion for solving big problems.
You are excited by the opportunity to leverage your expertise to help nurture and eventually grow our development team.
You want your work to have impact, and you want to work at a company whose mission you care about.
At Chalk, we are building a suite of web and mobile apps where our mission is to empower teachers, through technology, to give every child an equal opportunity to participate in the future.
As a senior web developer you will be building software used by over 400,000 teachers, administrators, and students around the world.
We're looking for an experienced web developer to join our team on a full-time basis. You should be comfortable working with other developers, designers, and non-technical support staff. A keen eye for identifying problems, and a knack for creative solutions, is critical.
In this role you will:
- Work with the Design and Engineering teams to build, test, and ship performant, easy-to-use, and polished experiences to our web apps
- Help augment our existing development practices, or even introduce new ones
- Be an active voice in various Engineering-related discussions, from architecture design, to code style guides and best practices
- Work with the Customer Care and Success teams to resolve technical issues from clients
Ideally you have:
- Multiple years of experience shipping software at scale (preferably on web platforms)
- Plenty of experience working in product teams (you tend to make those around you better)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (you know how to tailor your communication to different stakeholders, both technical and non-technical)
- Production experience building and maintaining applications (preferably built with Ruby on Rails)
- Good product instincts (you have a strong opinion on what makes a good user experience)
- Familiarity with React is a plus
We want to work with people who make our team better, and are passionate about changing education through technology.
If that sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you personally about why you feel you’d be a good fit at Chalk. Send us a short email to email@example.com. If you have any interesting personal projects, let us know about those too. And don’t bother sending a generic cover letter - just keep it short and sweet 🙂