Apple Retail Technology - Site Reliability Engineer
This is a full time (with full benefits) or contract role on the theorem.co consulting team. Conversion to a full time Apple employee is allowed.
Below is the job description from the manager at Apple. Our take: The key elements our client is looking for are someone who understands modern cloud concepts (k8s/docker) and has had a previous background in programming (ruby) and linux.
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming excellent products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job, and there's no telling what you could accomplish. At Apple Retail, we are focused on building experiences that encourage our customers to learn, explore, and go further with their creativity. Do you love problem-solving and thinking beyond an obvious solution? Do you thrive in ambiguity and teams where little direction fuel your creativity?
The A/V and Retail Infrastructure team are responsible for building and supporting the core of our technology behind Retail's customer-facing interactive experiences with our products and Today at Apple. This role will operate and pioneer infrastructure, enabling software delivery, cutting edge support, and new DevOps maturity for a growing era of edge and Retail innovation.
- A focus on customer experience, developer and stakeholder support.
- Strong AWS Cloud experience.
- Understanding of the Linux Operating System
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, related technologies.
- Experience with build/release (CI/CD) pipelines and methodologies (Jenkins/Spinnaker)
- Proven ability to write programs using a high-level programming language as well as modern application server frameworks (e.g., Ruby).
- Experience handling large numbers of diverse systems with configuration management systems like Chef, Sensu,
- Experience administering of cloud systems (e.g. AWS infrastructure), hybrid clouds, and related technologies.
- Passion for eliminating repetitive manual processes using data and automation
- Strong sense of ownership, customer service, time management, and integrity demonstrated through clear communication.
- Experience/ability to support apps written in PHP, Ruby, Node, Python, Java
- Knowledge of JVM tuning/performance/troubleshooting a plus
- Cloud & Infrastructure: AWS, K8s/Docker, Jenkins/Spinnaker, VMWare
- OS: Deep linux knowledge (including building RPMs)
- Configuration & IaC: Chef, Sensu, pulumi
- Database: Postgres, MySQL, MongoDB, Oracle
- Programming: Ruby, Python
- General Security & Secret Management
Apple Retail Technology Interactive Team runs services that serve a large number of our customer experiences. Operating at our scale across multiple geographically dispersed points of presence and delivering on over a million customer experiences per day presents unique challenges. As an SRE @ Apple, you'll need to solve these problems using data, strategic internally developed platforms, and collaborative expertise. SREs @ Apple owns the full infrastructure stack; from deploying operating systems and storage architectures to distribution management and continuous software delivery, our responsibilities are both broad and deep.
Apple Retail Interactive runs a large portion of its systems on Linux. We run a mix of open source and internally developed tools for system & configuration management, provisioning, software deployment, and monitoring. You'll learn these tools and have opportunities to improve them. Our team embodies a "Startup" mentality and "Partner" mindset, fostering a strong entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit. If you have a better solution to a problem, document a strategy for improvement, advocate for your approach through persuasion, collaboration, and socialization efforts, then carry it through to completion. Good ideas are heard, and results are rewarded.
- Manage, operate, and deliver automated capabilities for repeated resolution and deployment across our infrastructure.
- Manage our AWS Infrastructure & existing migrations to AWS.
- Deploy, support, and monitor new and existing services, platforms, and application stacks.
- Architect, author, and deliver capabilities to improve the availability, scalability, and security of Apple's distributed retail offerings.
- Participate in periodic on-call duties.