We're Lawn Love -- a digital marketplace for lawn care and gardening services. We're like Uber or Lyft, but for the lawn care space.
We launched in San Diego six years ago and have raised funding from investors like Y Combinator, Bullpen Capital, Joe Montana, Alexis Ohanian, Barbara Corcoran and others. We've been on a growth tear ever since, and are now operating in over 120 cities across the U.S.
We're a fully remote team and are looking for an ambitious VP of Engineering who is passionate about people, technology, and growing a high-performing remote engineering organization, with the goal of helping us build great products and deliver amazing services to our customers.
We're looking for someone who can establish engineering standards, ensure we have a strong technical vision, manage the product roadmap, and roll out effective engineering best practices. The ideal candidate has startup experience and a knack for juggling responsibilities. This role reports to and works in close collaboration with the CEO.
- While we've hit significant scale as a company, our engineering team is still fairly small (5 people currently). You'd be responsible for helping build and maintain our unique engineering culture. You'll lead by example as you model Lawn Love's values.
- Handle one-on-ones with engineers, administer performance reviews, and serve as the team's coach. You'll remove whatever barriers exist between engineers and their best-possible work.
- Review pull requests to stay knowledgeable about the ever-evolving codebase.
- Scale the engineering team's brainpower; keep the engineering organization nimble to meet current and future needs; be a conduit for information sharing within ENG and the broader company.
- Manage the product roadmap, and work alongside product owners to inform development of new features.
- Manage sprints, retros, and the day-to-day of our eng team.
- Plan for the engineering organization's future. What does Lawn Love look like a year from now and how do we get there?
- Identify and hire gifted engineers who will be a great fit for the team, and thrive at Lawn Love.
- Measure and report on team productivity, performance, and relevant development KPIs, and defining and executing OKRs
Our stack + engineering culture
- PHP/Laravel 5, Typescript, React and React Native iOS and Android Apps
- Running in AWS with one-click deploys from GitHub and peace-of-mind with Travis CI test suits
- Deep integrations with Twilio, Sendgrid, Google Cloud APIs, Amazon Web Services, and many more
- Using agile best practices in Jira to manage the pipeline of new projects
- Huge fans of continuous integration, one-idea-per-commit, and feature flag philosophies
Why lawn care?
Lawn Love solves problems for both lawn care consumers (anyone with grass, shrubs, or xeriscaping) and the pros doing the work. We've brought a suite of 21st century tools to a very antiquated industry, including: Online quoting, scheduling, and payments; quantitative analyses to ensure consumers get a great lawn pro, every time; and job routing and clustering algorithms that increase pros' route density and efficiency.
- We're both well-funded and capital efficient. We launched out of YCombinator in 2014, and have raised significant funding from world-class investors over the last few years.
- Looking for personal development? This role will have you working with every function in the company, and managing a suite of applications that touch hundreds of thousands of customers.
- We're here to work hard, have fun, and make history. Our goal is to massively improve the lives of millions of small business owners (our lawn pros) and help them better compete and thrive.
- You are experienced at leading engineering teams: Everything from hiring, coaching, and providing guidance on technical decisions.
- Hands on knowledge of software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, agile development, code reviews, and source control management
- Extensive experience recruiting and developing top engineering talent
- You've kept your technical skills sharp, and have recent hands-on experience.
- You have experience managing cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud, etc) and infrastructure as code best practices
- You're familiar with security best practices
- You have strong working knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
- You appreciate (or at least tolerate) well-crafted memes and non-sequitur humor.
- Unmetered vacation, full health coverage, 401k, and more.
- A sane working environment with real work/life balance.
- Significant equity. When we say you’ll be an “owner,” we mean that not just in the metaphorical sense.
- All the benefits of a fully remote company. Zero commute, and you can work from anywhere you're productive.
Come make history with us.