Come help us make Pronto, a realtime messaging and communication app, a delightful experience for our customers. Pronto is used every day by students, retail workers, hotel management and many others (including ourselves!) for daily communication. We strive to make our backend services scalable and easy to consume in our Android, iOS and Web apps. Our backend service is mission critical to our business and we need someone that has the experience and passion to make something that's fast, scalable, and easy to build on. If that sounds like your kind of challenge, we'd love to talk to you.
Work on all parts of the Pronto backend service. This of course involves writing a ton of code, working with realtime technologies like WebRTC and WebSockets, and managing databases and services in AWS. But it also means understanding and having ownership over our core service. It means helping the rest of the team understand what's possible and helping to decide what we should build next. You'll work on a close-knit team of experienced engineers that values moving quickly (without breaking things) and where you will have significant influence on both technology and business decisions without red tape.
- You'll design APIs and implement new services that can be used by iOS/Android/Web client teams.
- You’ll collaborate with the core engineering team to brainstorm new features and prioritize maintenance work.
- You'll help manage the entire stack of services we use in AWS (EC2, Lambda, SQS, SNS, ELB, Beanstalk, etc.)
- You'll use your expertise to guide the team in best practices for development, testing, and deployment.
- You’ll recommend, and drive the adoption of, frameworks and technologies that will improve the server side code base.
- You’ll triage issues and work with our support team and customers as needed to identify and fix bugs.
- You’ll help to integrate Pronto into systems of record with other companies to provide seamless on boarding for new customers.
- 3+ years of backend web software development experience.
- Experience developing and deploying scalable code in cloud hosted environments. (e.g. AWS)
- Strong understanding of database design principles, especially in SQL-based DBs.
- Experience building cross-platform APIs.
Experience with these is certainly helpful, but we don’t expect everyone who applies to know all of them. We don’t hire based on knowledge of a particular language or framework, but on engineering experience, ability to research and learn, and how you’ve learned to approach problems. Good engineers are always learning new frameworks and technologies anyway.
Database: MySQL, ClustrixDB, Redis, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon RDS
Server: PHP, Laravel
Web: Vue.js, WebRTC, WebSockets
Android: Kotlin, Java
SCM: git (via GitHub)