As a Senior Database Administrator at Tutuka, you will be working closely with technical team to provide support to the database environment of our enterprise-level, highly scalable, highly secure financial processing system that powers tens of millions of transactions using web, mobile and API interfaces, making it easy for people to issue, redeem and reconcile prepaid cards all over the world. We already have a team of amazing developers that work remotely across America, Europe and Southeast Asia, and now we need you!
This role is an excellent opportunity for a senior engineer who loves data, mathematics, software architecture, system architecture, and programming. Your focus will be split between supporting the current Microsoft SQL Server database environment while architecting, planning, and implementing the database environment migration to AWS (RDS, Aurora, Redshift, and potentially more).
Our current data management and storage system in AWS already relies on RDS, S3, Kinesis, and Data Pipeline. We will expect you to have input and work on everything related to data and data analytics. This includes solution choice and design for real-time and batch data processing, database administration, data modelling, reporting, A/B testing and much more.
What will your day involve?
On the Microsoft SQL side:
- Setting up, monitoring and maintaining SQL Server instances
- Monitoring SQL Server transaction logs and SQL Server backup and restore process
- Monitoring, tuning and extending our SQL data warehouse solution
- Optimizing SQL Server queries
On the AWS side:
- Designing/Creating/Managing, and administering our AWS databases (RDS and Aurora) to guarantee continuous and high availability of the data
- Designing and building pipelines to replicate data with the on-premise SQL environment as needed
- Participating in technical and architectural discussions to help select the best technologies for future growth
- Helping us implementing a data-driven mindset in the company
- Managing our visualization and reporting tools and ensuring they integrate gracefully with our data storage solution
- Occasionally building dashboards to expose data to the business users
Who you should be?
- You have at least 3+ years' experience with AWS database experience and 6+ Years experience administrating Microsoft SQL Server
- You are experienced with continuous deployment and integration tools such as AWS CodeBuild, Jenkins, or CircleCI
- You are flexible to adapt quickly to changing priorities within a very dynamic environment, work well under pressure and set the pace on delivery as a design leader
- We believe everyone has ideas to contribute to our objective of continuous improvement, so you will be expected to take ownership and bring ideas to the table, and also inspire others in the team to do the same
- You are determined to achieve top-quality results in all projects you are working on
- Confidence in taking on challenging conversations and situations collaborate with each area of the company to get to the best product for our users
- Passion for the craft and love of technology and a self-starter
- Support the core team and participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation to assist other engineers in resolving production-related issues.
- English is our company language, so it’s important that you be able to communicate at a fluent level.
- This is a full-time, remote contractor position and we are looking for candidates in EMEA / South East Asia.
- Flexible hours are a must for our remote team. You’ll need to be able to occasionally shift your work hours to a schedule aligned with Johannesburg, South Africa (GMT+2).
We focus on building strong, diverse teams, embracing Tutukans with different backgrounds, experiences and talents.