FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has raised more than $2 billion for high impact nonprofits since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.In the last 2.5 years, we’ve grown from 5 people to 70 (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow quickly. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure.
About the role
We are looking for an ambitious designer to help raise the next $1 billion for charity. This role is a generalist position, and will require taking on a high level of responsibility across a wide variety of projects. We are looking for someone with strong skills in both visual and product design for complex web applications.
This role will report to our Head of Design, Fred Hua, and can be remote or based out of New York City. Competitive comp & equity. Flexible start date. Unfortunately, we can’t sponsor H1Bs at this time.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Work closely with our Design, Product, Engineering, and Partner Success teams to design, validate, and implement new features and assets
- Independently design complex new products and features to increase charitable giving and access to estate planning
- Absorb new nonprofit industry and user context quickly
- Maintain consistent identity and behavior across the application suite through modular and component-based design
- Specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Research, validation, and ideation based on product and business needs
- Experiments and interviews to understand user behavior
- Documentation and mock-ups suitable for deliberation and implementation
- Prototypes suitable for user testing
- Features to delight our users and improve our business outcomes
- Products that make us the premier place for estate planning and charitable giving
- Very strong grasp of visual design and UX principles
- 5+ years of professional work experience in product or UX design
- Expert with experience design software, such as Figma, Sketch, Invision Studio, Adobe XD or equivalent
- Expert at leading user interviews and testing
- Strong grasp of how modern websites and applications are built. You’re just as comfortable fiddling around in the Inspect tool or an online IDE as you are in an experience design tool.
Other important traits
- You’re a kind and excellent communicator. You enjoy listening, learning, and collaborating with different teams. You’re able to clarify needs, raise concerns, and help others understand the role of design.
- You explore contrasting approaches and are able to speak to the pros and cons of each.
- You design iteratively to accommodate internal and external constraints and timelines
- You lean on data, both quantitative and qualitative, to support decision-making. Whether helping to identify relevant metrics or working with standard BI tools (eg: excel, google analytics, looker/tableau/etc), you seek and use tangible data to understand needs and situations.
- You have excellent time management skills. You are happy to scale up, cut back, or reconsider solutions based on objectives and resources.
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. We also can’t sponsor working visas, so all applicants will need to have work authorization in the US.
Excited about our mission? Success in serving nonprofit partners requires our dedication to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We can’t wait to learn with and from you.
If interested, please contact John Glenn at email@example.com
with your resumé and any applicable materials or experience (eg: website, github, portfolio, etc.)