Smile, developer of the B2B SaaS productivity tool TextExpander, and the all-purpose PDF editor for Mac, iPad & iPhone, PDFpen, has been making people more productive for over 15 years. While returning millions of hours of productive time to our customers, we’ve grown from a 2 person team to a team of more than 30 - all while remaining self-funded and profitable! We’re now looking to grow the team with the skills of a Support Team Lead to carry on Smile’s track record of exceptional support and customer service.
Work with our talented, internationally diverse, remote team as we learn, grow, and continually improve.
What we’re looking for:
Smile is seeking a technically adept, hands-on Technical Support Lead to guide a team of Technical Support Specialists in providing prompt and courteous support to our TextExpander and PDFpen users. Your day-to-day work will include working cross-functionally with the Engineering and Sales teams to solve complex tier 2 technical problems, mentoring the Support team, and creating processes that set our whole team, and our customers, up for success.
Who you are:
Troubleshooting, problem-solving, and discovering workarounds are an essential part of your day-to-day toolkit. . Getting customers up and running with a solution is your main goal, and barring that, setting clear expectations on what they can do next.
You understand that customers may not have all the technical terms needed to ‘speak our language’ when describing their problems. So, you read between the lines then patiently explain their next steps in clear language. Since the best solution is the one that quickly gets the customer back to work.
“Passion for Customer” is one of our core values, and it’s one you feel as ‘passionately’ about as we do 😁. That means treating customers with the same prompt, courteous respect as anyone else on the team.
Finally, training, leading, and mentoring come second nature. Not only will you coach the existing team, but new hires from all departments get trained for and spend time in support. We find it’s core to understanding our customers and their needs, as well as providing more flexibility for support coverage.
What you’ll do:
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the Customer Support team, including monitoring and mentoring staff
- Monitor the Support team’s performance, including KPIs and customer feedback so that all interactions align with our history of excellent customer service and our values of Integrity, Accountability, Teamwork and Passion for Customer
- Provide feedback and guidance to support teammates by way of performance reviews, one on ones, and other meetings as needed
- Create repeatable and predictable processes in alignment with the Support team’s objectives and goals
- Serve as the point of contact between Support, Sales, Engineering, Product, and Marketing teams
- Continually work to optimize the Support team’s performance, accuracy, and efficiency
- Coordinate with Sales team for technical support when needed
- Assist with the Knowledge Base and other supporting and educational materials to ensure that public-facing information updated and maintained
- Train new team members
- Recruit, hire and train new team members
- Work with Product, Marketing, and the Product Launch teams to make product updates and releases smooth
- Track leading customer issues and recommend product changes that optimize & reduce overall support cases and costs
Tier 2 Support:
- Gain an expert understanding of our SaaS applications, TextExpander and PDFpen, to resolve complex client requests. As a leader in the Customer Support department, you will be expected to stay up to date with application enhancements and understand how to translate enhancements into customer value
- Work closely with our Product department to understand our development lifecycle as it pertains to the Customer Support department. Act as a customer advocate for client product features and defects
- Respond to escalated customer support issues, including the following:
- Provide problem-solving workarounds
- Handle bug reproduction, clarification, and capture
- Capture crash logs
- Investigate oddities
- File bug reports and feature requests in JIRA
- Help manage JIRA (organize, resolve duplicates, highlight high priority issues, etc.)
- Maintain Tier 2 snippets for the Support team
Other duties include:
- Assist with hiring and onboarding process (interviewing, project grading, etc.)
- Assist with webinars and other customer education projects
- At least 1-year of previous experience in leading a technical customer support team
- At least 2 years of previous experience in a technical customer support role
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated expertise working with macOS, iOS, Windows
Tech needed for the job:
- High-speed, reliable Internet connection
Skills needed to succeed at Smile:
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Self-motivated, and comfortable with little supervision
- Excellent written communication skills
- Comfortable working with a remote team
- Highly detail-oriented
- Adaptable, able to learn and grow
- Reliable, smart, honest, organized, positive, personable (like us!)
- Experience with remote work
- College education
- Familiarity with Smile products
- Experience with Jira
- Experience creating knowledge base tutorials
- Demonstrated experience working with ShellScript
- Demonstrated experience working with AppleScript
- High level of autonomy in your role
- Motivated and creative teammates
- Flexible schedule
- Remote Work
- Employment benefits:
- Healthcare reimbursement plan (ICHRA plan)
- Paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave
- 401(k) plan
- Profit-sharing plan
- Contract work also negotiable
- Salary based on experience
Smile develops productivity software for Mac, Windows, Chrome, iPhone, and iPad. Headquartered in San Francisco, California, Smile is a closely-knit, geographically diverse company, with roots in the Mac community. We have proudly served our customers for over a decade.
At Smile, we embrace diversity and recognize that we have work to do in that area. We strongly encourage underrepresented minorities to apply, even if they're not sure they meet all qualifications.
Smile provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.