Senior Ruby Engineer
Ready to shape tomorrow?
This is somewhere where innovative thinking and the power of technology know no limits. We know that the success of the business depends on the people who keep it moving, which is why we are looking for exceptional talent to join our international payments revolution.
We’re bringing simplicity, transparency & scale to cross-border payments - a $120 trillion market.
About the role.
Our software engineers are responsible for implementing an industry-leading API that has already processed over $50 billion of cross-border transactions for over 5 million end users, and is available to our clients 24/7. But we’re not stopping there, and our engineers are at the forefront of taking us forward to meet the demands of even greater scale.
From our monolithic datacenter beginnings we’ve moved wholesale to AWS where our system runs as a set of distributed applications. We’re currently in the process of migrating those applications over to Kubernetes and Jenkins-X as we further embrace a microservices architecture.
As a software engineer you’ll play a key role within your team; delivering new functionalities to the services your team provides, and taking responsibility for your services and the technology within them. Teams are aligned to services and you’ll have:
- clear ownership of your domain
- a clean modern codebase
- an independent path to production
- strong platform and product support
- the ability to make real changes with real business value.
Our microservices architecture enables us to explore new languages and technologies in parallel with our existing system. The core of our system has been built using Ruby, leveraging backing services like RabbitMQ, Redis, and MySQL/Aurora, but we are keen to bring in engineers with more diverse backgrounds, and help us take Currencycloud to the next level of scale.
We are interested in Ruby developers, or people from any modern object oriented programming language that are willing to learn and code in Ruby.
As part of our TRUST team you will be building state of the art compliance systems that make our clients safe and ensure adherence to FCA standards across our business.
Day-to-day you’ll work with a variety of tools, technologies, capabilities and processes.
- Highly-scalable, highly-available, cloud-native applications are key to our next phase of growth, are written to 12-factor principles and fit into our microservices architecture.
- Cloud-related tools and services support these applications, such as Docker, Kubernetes, ElasticSearch, log management systems, and Datadog APM, to name but a few.
- API specifications, conforming to the OpenAPI (Swagger) standard, provide a clean boundary both externally between our customers and our product, and internally between our microservices.
- Object-oriented programming forms the bulk of our codebase, currently in Ruby and more recently in Java. We also have specialist applications written in a functional style using Scala and Elixir.
TRUST team’s tech stack includes RoR applications with RabbitMQ as a queue service, MySQL as an underlying database engine, and Elasticsearch as a search engine and aggregation tool. Our frontends are written in Vue.JS. All of that running on Kubernetes clusters.
- SQL, and large SQL databases, provide the persistence layer for our applications. You’ll be working with (and know the limitations of using) such large datastores.
- Infrastructure automation is primarily owned by the infrastructure team, but you will be a consumer of their work, familiarity with AWS, Terraform and Docker is beneficial.
- Testing approaches, including TDD, BDD and Contract Testing, all form an important part of our approach to quality assurance; ensuring that the code that we write forms products that are fit for use. We currently use RSpec and Cucumber.
- Agile development, with teams broadly aligned with the Spotify - Squads & Tribes - model, helps us deliver incremental improvements to our products in an iterative manner. Advocating this model, and joining us on a journey of continuous improvement, is a key attribute of senior members of our teams.
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery pipelines allow us to “automate all the things”, providing repeatable builds and consistent deployments.
- GitHub, and the GitHub PR review process, forms a core part of our developer workflow, and peer reviews help share knowledge and improve quality.
- Teamwork, and cross-team collaboration, is fundamental to the delivery of our applications. Whilst each application has an independent path to production, there will always be some activities and initiatives that span multiple teams and require cross-team collaboration. Within your team you’ll need to collaborate with a number of stakeholders, including Product Owners and QA, as part of your product development.
None of these on their own are a must-have to apply for the role, but it would be useful to share with us any knowledge or experience that you have in these areas.
Anything extra to add?
Along with a no dress code policy & flexible working arrangements we also provide all of our employees with a prepaid debit card each month to spend on Wellness, or a contribution to a gym membership.
We offer a comprehensive range of employee benefits which include 25 days paid leave, 5% pension, BUPA health insurance, life insurance, long term sickness protection, a day off for your birthday and socials every Friday.
Currencycloud is a global payments platform built on smart technology that takes the complexity out of moving money. Developers use our API building blocks to build customised payment solutions. Whether you want to embed our payments infrastructure into your products or services, or build on top of it, we’ll fit into your business in a way that works for you.
We take care of all the intricacies and regulatory hurdles involved with cross-border payments, giving you the tools to globalise your business.
Our cloud-based platform removes that complexity from international transactions, giving you clarity and control over your business so you can focus on the things that matter: your customers. With enterprise-class solutions for clients and partners such as Visa and Starling Bank, Currencycloud understands your needs and can help with market-leading products.