Fullstack Product Engineer
We’re looking to grow our web product engineering team with two back-end to full-stack focused engineers to join us on our mission to provide essential tools to help small businesses get off the ground and grow.
We’re looking for customer-focused product engineers to take our teams to the next level.We have open positions in our biggest product team, the Publish team as well as in the team responsible for building and maintaining our Core shared services such as login, payments and billing, and connecting social media channels.
If that sounds interesting to you, we'd love to learn more about you!
Who You'll Work With
You will report to an engineering manager and work closely with a team of 4-7 engineers supported by product managers, designers, data analysts, customer advocates, and marketing managers.
What You'll Do
We are currently transitioning from a company that offers several separate products to having an all in one solution, and you will be helping build the foundation that enables us to do this.
Our front-end applications are built using React.js with GraphQL as the interface to our backend services, written in Node.js or PHP. We're agile, use continuous integration and continuous delivery, deploying to production every single day.
- You’ll be working within our product engineering teams to autonomously build new product features and maintain our core API.
- You will contribute to our engineering standards to continuously improve the consistency and quality of our codebases and processes.
- You'll work on bug fixing and improving application performance.
- As you gain context, you’ll provide technical guidance to teammates and insight into technical decisions to product managers.
Helpful Skills and Experience
- You have experience as a back-end or full-stack developer in any procedural language, working on back-end systems with meaningful production traffic.
- You have experience with databases. Mongo would be a bonus.
- You have an understanding of how distributed systems work, and experience working with multiple APIs and data sources.
- You are passionate about writing simple, maintainable code and you take a balanced approach to product engineering, embracing pragmatism over perfection in your work.
- You are keen to write and maintain tests where needed and appreciate the importance of working effectively with legacy codebases.
- Experience working with GraphQL, PHP, or Node.js would be helpful.
- Experience building micro-services with Kubernetes would be helpful.
- We value the depth and quality of your experience, over counting years. That said, successful applicants typically have 3 years + of development experience.
Unsure if you meet all these requirements? Please apply anyway! We would love to hear from you!
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you're excited by the possibilities that come with working at Buffer! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits.
💰 Competitive salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is: $101K - $143K USD.
🏝 Work remotely (globally): Live and work anywhere in the world!
💪 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all team members, international or US.
💻 Home office setup: Get a laptop + $500 to set up your home office.
👓 Growth mindset fund: Extra money for learning and development.
⛺️ Minimum vacation: At least 3 weeks/year, with no upper limit.
🤑 401(k): With 3% company match.
🍼 Family leave: 3 months of family leave for all parents, and more is possible.
✈️ Retreats: When we can, we meet in person for company get-togethers twice per year.
☕️ Working smarter stipend: Get extra cash for a co-working space or a coffee shop work.
📚 Free books and Kindle: Get a free Kindle and all the free books - digital, physical, and audio - you like, anytime.
⛱ Sabbaticals: Take a 6-week break, fully paid, after every 5 years with Buffer.
📈 Profit sharing: When the company does well, all team members share the profits. We distribute 8-15% of profits annually to the team.
What You Can Expect in the Hiring Process:
Step 1: Getting to know your value (async only). You'll receive an invite to your interview doc so that we can learn more the value you could bring to Buffer.
Step 2: Getting to know your role. You'll chat with Dianne, an Engineering Manager, and another engineer in a joint interview and to learn more about your background, experience, and achievements.
Step 3: Brief exercise (async only). In this step of the process, you'll showcase your technical skill in a take-home exercise.
Step 4: Get to know our technologies and your background. You'll talk to Dan, our CTO, and another engineer in a joint interview about the exercise. This will not involve live coding or white-boarding!
Step 5: Getting to know your team. You'll chat with Katie, our VP of engineering, and potential teammates about what it's like to be a member of the team.
Our Hiring Timeline:
Thank you for your interest in Buffer and the Fullstack Product Engineer role!
We're hiring in multiple teams, and our overall hiring process takes about 4-6 weeks in total, from the time you are contacted for the first interview.
If you feel like this role is calling out to you, we'd love to learn more about you. We're always open to continuing the conversation, and we'll be sure to reach out to you with next steps after you apply!