We are looking for an exceptional software engineer who is passionate about our mission, a fast learner, and is excited to work for a very early stage company as our first engineering hire. In the near term you would work under the direction of our Technical Advisor, a seasoned CTO at a late stage startup, and in collaboration with the CEO. Given that we are such a young company (pre-revenue, pre-institutional funding), we would love to see you grow with our venture into more senior leadership roles. This role is remote (within domestic U.S.), but with a preference for those based in the Bay Area. We’d love for the right person to join us as soon as possible, and therefore would love to explore contracting roles that convert into a full-time position, which is budgeted at $80k plus equity.
In this role you would be expected to jump in, learn quickly, and build out our existing web app that offers parents an array of tax-time and savings tools. Our app is live, written in Ruby on Rails and hosted on Heroku/AWS. We expect to build and test multiple iterations of it before the extended tax season ends this summer.
Please note that a college degree in engineering is NOT required and that graduates from coding academies are welcome. Applicants from groups that are historically underrepresented in tech are encouraged to apply.
- At least 2 years of full-time software engineering experience.
- Experience with a web app framework like Ruby on Rails, Django, or Node.js.
- Understanding of SQL databases (Postgres, MySQL, Oracle).
- Eager to join a very early startup and comfortable navigating ambiguity.
- Passion for building fintech products for households making less than $40K.
- Lived experience with and/or empathy for families facing financial instability.
- Hands-on-experience deploying apps to a cloud platform (Heroku, AWS, Azure, etc).
- Experience with unit and integration testing using Rspec, Capybara, and others.
- Mobile development experience is a plus, but not necessary.
- Experience with consumer fintech companies.