At Occipital, we believe that spatial is the next frontier in computing — and we believe it will come to life in the home. The home is where we make all kinds of choices that are spatial in nature (“Will it fit? What will it look like? What will my partner think?”) but still lack the tools to make these choices in a spatial way. It starts with digitizing spaces in 3D, but once you turn the physical world into data, so much more becomes possible. We’re looking for a great content creator to help us tell that story in ways big and small, and share that story with as many people as possible.
In 2013, we launched Structure Sensor
— the first 3D sensor for mobile devices, and a whole platform for developers to start building “spatial apps” years before the necessary 3D sensing hardware was embedded into everyday devices. By 2016, that led to Canvas
, our own product for this platform that made 3D mapping easy and affordable for everyday home improvement projects. In 2020, with Apple launching their first device with an embedded LiDAR sensor, and our own for capturing spaces using a regular smartphone rapidly advancing
, the timing has never been better to really fulfill our mission of democratizing 3D capture.
You’ll be working primarily with the Augmented Home division, where Canvas is the most public product today, but we have a ton of other exciting initiatives to reveal over the course of 2020. 3D capture — and 3D in general — is very new to pretty much every single customer in the home improvement industry, meaning that your job is an even mix of inspiration, education, and motivation. And, of course, measuring success. This is a role for a storyteller who treats their work’s results as their main concern, and is comfortable acknowledging when well-crafted content failed to achieve its purpose.
Your mediums will be diverse, and we take a broad perspective on content. Our products are very visual, so video and graphics are usually the best way to tell their story to new audiences via social and paid acquisition campaigns. However, once you’re moving past inspiration into education, the devil is in the details — case studies on achieving ROI with 3D capture, training guides with step-by-step instructions, etc. You’ll even take the lead on creating landing pages to translate interest into action, and be a key voice in advocating for channels and strategies to distribute our story.
Above all, we’ll look for you to work backwards — start with the target audience, the goal, and the channel, then develop the content to fit. We’ll always encourage you to leverage work that has already been done and work smarter, but not force content for one channel into another when it’s not appropriate. Success will be measured by the number of qualified leads, downloads, and visitors you’re able to drive, meaning content can’t be created in a vacuum.
Compensation will be based on experience and skill, commensurate with market rates and will include both salary and equity in Occipital. Occipital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment to our employees and welcome input from candidates and employees on how we can enhance our inclusiveness.
Responsibilities will include:
- Identifying, understanding, and prioritizing the use of various distribution channels as part of our overall content marketing
- Leading strategy and execution of content across video, graphic, and written mediums — including, but not limited to, promotional videos, white papers, how-to-guides, event hand-outs, emails, paid ads, and more
- Managing a content calendar based on needs from various stakeholders as well as your own ideas
- Defining the KPIs for a campaign, measuring its success upon completion, and summarizing and sharing lessons learned
- Managing paid acquisition campaigns and budgets across platforms like email, Facebook, Google, and LinkedIn
- Evolve and/or create marketing infrastructure to track global marketing metrics as well as the success of various initiatives
- Maintain organization of our content portfolio and assets for easy future re-use by yourself and the team
- Reaching out to influencers and media outlets who may be interested in our content and help share our story
- Creating regular reports on the success of both individual content as well as macro-level marketing efforts
For this position, we're looking for the following minimum qualifications:
- 3+ years in content creation and/or content marketing, ideally targeting a B2B audience
- Substantive knowledge of marketing automation and content marketing platforms and systems (e.g., Marketo, Hubspot, etc)
- A diverse portfolio of published content across written, graphic, web and video mediums (including both examples you executed individually as well as leading others)
And ideally, we’d like to see the following:
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Keynote, and Mailchimp
- Experience with Facebook Ads, LinkedIn Ads, Google Ads, and email marketing
- Experience with and/or enthusiasm for content distribution, demand generation, and growth as a whole
- Experience working with engineers to create demos and websites