The vice president of engineering is the functional leader responsible for the strategy and tactics of how we plan, design, build, operate, and secure SaaS software products from an engineering perspective. This position is responsible for the health and impact of product engineering teams that serve the CFO and VP of Research at our customer institutions; and for attracting, retaining, and growing top engineering and security talent.
Who are we?
Kuali builds software solutions for higher education. We help our customers — colleges & universities — focus on providing a fantastic education to students by decreasing their administrative costs. We work in a competitive space, ripe for innovation, with users ready to be delighted.
- Iterate to evolve
- Cultivate openness
- Act with accountability
- Assume the best
- Practice humility
- Deliver amazing experiences
We work remotely, and have for years. Distributed work is in our bones, with a history of institutions working across state lines for many years. Our employees each work in the environment where they’re happiest, from Massachusetts to Hawaii. We work consciously to create a collaborative and healthy remote work culture, and we travel to meet in person a few times each year.
Everyone should love their work.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for:
- Leading a constantly and iteratively improving engineering practice
- Managing a team of talented engineers, engineering leaders and security professionals (directors and managers)
- Communicating with and influencing customer executives including CIOs, CFOs, and Vice Presidents for Research and others in their organizations
- Positioning Kuali engineering in our market and talent markets to support our brand goals
- Working with executive peers leading the business lines to prioritize and develop products that make Kuali an indispensable partner to our customers
- Working with executive peers to deliver remarkable customer experiences and create fiercely loyal customer advocates at every touch point.
- Learning, and educating others, about forward-looking as well as proven product development practices
What kind of candidate are we looking for?
We’re looking for a curious, enthusiastic, empathetic leader to help our engineering and extended product teams be the best they can be, solve problems, execute on ideas, advocate for the customer, and contribute to a team culture built on trust and mutual respect. You...
- are an amazing communicator. You actively listen, and your written, oral, and visual communication is clear, concise, and tuned carefully to your audience
- are passionate about your role in helping customers achieve their missions, and you advocate for them fiercely
- are a natural, self motivated and directed leader who inspires your team, embraces teaching (or learning) opportunities, and provides constructive coaching and meaningful, stretching challenges
- have a track record of leading engineering teams of 50 or more people including product engineers, operations, and security professionals to produce high-impact results, and you’ve learned from that experience
- have worked on multiple SaaS solutions
- are a resourceful, creative, problem solver
- are curious and continuously seek knowledge and share your discoveries with others
- know your stuff. You can think your way through complex issues, have a keen eye for details, and talk about it all confidently, accurately, and honestly
- are cool under pressure. Startups can get a bit hectic. You keep calm and carry on through even the most stressful of circumstances
- are organized, communicative, and accountable—you own your role entirely, while being open to criticism, suggestions, edits, and new ideas
- play nice with others, but you’re not a pushover
- are able to travel. There will be 3-4 key events throughout the year, and opportunities to visit customers as well. The travel requirement could be 20-30% … that said, we’re playing it safe and not traveling at the moment. We’ll see how things look in 2021.
- Top-of-the-line equipment of your choice to get your job done
- A truly exceptional benefits package including full premium coverage for employee and dependent medical and dental care
- 401(k) matching
- Employee stock option plan
- Paid Maternity/Parental leave
- All the paid time off you need (just work it out with your manager)
- Allowance for continuing education, conferences, and/or training
- Employee resource groups and community events