About The Role
We’re looking for a full-stack Software Engineer to help us build and shape a tool that thousands of developers use every day. As an Engineer at Buildkite, you will work closely with design, product and engineers to build new product features and manage our existing platform as the product expands.
A typical day for a Buildkite Rails Engineer might look like:
- Collaborating via Basecamp on crafting an upcoming feature or fix.
- Primarily working on our Ruby on Rails (majestic) monolith which embraces Rails HTML views combined with hints of React, GraphQL and Relay on the frontend, and PostgreSQL for the database.
- Solving problems in our production app and isolating issues to fix.
- Video calls with others on the team to discuss or solve problems, or to just say hi.
- Providing feedback on a GitHub pull request, or responding to feedback left for you.
- Helping customers. At the moment, a person from product engineering is rostered on to support for the whole week, and we each take turns to work with our team of dedicated Support Engineers to solve customer problems.
This job is for you if you:
- Believe in quality code. You should know how to balance your own high standards of code quality with the problems you are solving and external constraints like how time-sensitive it is or the impact it will have.
- Like solving problems. You are happy working through difficult technical problems and solving them in straight-forward ways. If you don’t know the answer immediately, you will be comfortable digging into the problem until you figure it out and know when it’s time to ask the right point to ask for assistance.
- Understand development processes. You are comfortable writing Git commits, pull requests and tests using tools like RSpec. You know how to tackle critiquing others code in a positive and productive way, and receiving the same sort of feedback.
- Are a good communicator. You should value empathy and kindness and be able to articulate your ideas and feelings when writing or speaking.
- Are comfortable with working remotely. We are a remote-first company, so you will need to be comfortable working by yourself and taking initiative when team members are offline.
Buildkite is the fastest, most reliable, secure way to deploy and test code at any scale. Making developers happy and productive makes us happy, and we’re lucky to work closely with some of the best software teams in the world, including Airbnb, Shopify, Intercom, PagerDuty, and Basecamp.We are a privately held company that values sustainable growth, transparency and work-life balance. We’re currently a distributed team of thirty and work remotely from Seattle, Vancouver, Perth, Sydney, Hobart, Adelaide, Kyoto, Oakland, Wellington, Berlin and Melbourne. Take a look at Buildkite’s values and the way they shape the benefits of working with our team here
. We're hiring a bunch of engineering shaped roles so if this one sounds interesting, but not quite right, head over to our careers page to find out more: https://buildkite.com/careers
We have some details at this link which you can fill in. You don’t need to complete every section, just send through any link or document you’re proud of that helps us understand your skillset. This doesn’t have to be a resume, but it can be. There’s also a section to write some words about you and why this role interests you if you like. If you have any questions or if you’d like to find out more about working at Buildkite, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Timezone | Any timezone between Adelaide (UTC+0930) through to Vancouver (UTC−0700) inclusive.
Hours | Full-time or part-time
Role Type | Permanent